PDA

View Full Version : The top 10 Confederate Generals (CWH)

Parault
02-05-2008, 06:00 PM
I have read the article in the Jan/Feb Civil War Historian about the top ten Confederate Generals. Do you agree with Michael and Thomas Aubrecht? Who would you pick? In what order would you place them? What I found most intriguing was the Interesting Facts on each general.
I enjoyed some of the early biography details on the generals with which I was not conversant of.

Michael Comer
02-05-2008, 11:45 PM
I do not agree with several of the picks.

I think John Bowen doesn't get enough credit for what he did as a commander. If he had not died at the end of the Vicksburg siege, I think there would be much written about him today. At the head of the Missouri Brigade, he was unstoppable. He exercised independent command and bailed out Pemberton on several ocassions. He outperformed several of the generals that were on that list.

I admit I'm biased in the matter since I'm a Missourian, but I really do think that an unbiased look at his command skills and accomplishments will bear me out.

Micah Trent
02-06-2008, 03:41 PM
top10?
It's ashame that's what CWH magazine has gone to? I suppose next will be top 10 union generals?
I love the magazine...just feel as if its quality has been slipping away lately.:(
Just my two cents.

27thNCdrummer
02-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Micah,
I couldn't agree with you more. It seems as if CWH has been declining in quality rapidly. If you compare the current issues to the older ones you will see the difference.

I don't think I will do top ten but here's is the top three

3. James Longstreet
2. Jubal Early
1. A.P. Hill

Enfilade
02-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Is there any doubt?

1)D.H. Hill
2)Stephen Dodson Ramseur*
3)Robert F. Hoke
4)William Dorsey Pender*

*KIA
My Top 4 anyways.

Malingerer
02-12-2008, 05:25 PM
1. D. H. Hill - obviously
2. Bryan Grimes - he and his boys made a real fight of it at Fisher's Hill even after their flank was turned and the non-North Carolina troops had all fled.
3. J.J. Pettigrew - fought like a caged tiger at Falling Waters
4. Rufus Barringer - even when the end was very near, he and his tiny brigade of four North Carolina regiments sacrificed themselves as Lee's rearguard at Namozine Church and prevented Sheridan from gobbling up much of the infantry.

Prodical Reb
02-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Gentlemen,
There is an Obvious NC trend going on. I couldn't agree with you more! The NC generals were always slighted by the Richmond politicians and underrated by everybody!

Prodical Reb
02-12-2008, 07:00 PM
accidentily hit button twice. Mods delete please

Bill Fean
02-12-2008, 08:01 PM
I have to agree with Mr. Trent. I started my subscription back around the 5th issue or so & it seems to be going toward a different direction than I was expecting. When this issue came, I dont think I even looked at it after the first day it came in the mail. When my subscription runs out, I dont think I'll be renewing unless something changes.

Bill Fean

EasySam
03-06-2008, 08:38 AM
I do not agree with several of the picks.

I think John Bowen doesn't get enough credit for what he did as a commander. If he had not died at the end of the Vicksburg siege, I think there would be much written about him today. At the head of the Missouri Brigade, he was unstoppable. He exercised independent command and bailed out Pemberton on several ocassions. He outperformed several of the generals that were on that list.

I admit I'm biased in the matter since I'm a Missourian, but I really do think that an unbiased look at his command skills and accomplishments will bear me out.

Thank you for posting this. His leadership at Port Gibson is not topped by anyone. At Champion's Hill, again he bailed out Pemberton's army, and came very close to beating Grant. As close as any other did. I have studied Bowen a lot. If he had died in a glorious charge, instead of dying practically alone of dysentery, his memory would have been better served. Another great General was Cockrell. He has been described by at least one historian as the best combat commander of the war, either side. Part of his greatness may have been the result of learning from Bowen. Important to both generals was the men they led - The Missouri Brigade. This unit was decimated throughout the war. Very few returned home. Very few to carry the banners of Generals Bowen & Cockrell. The story of these men & their soldiers is a wonderful thing to learn.

Chihuahua
03-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Pards,
I've always been a big fan of Nathan George "Shanks" Evans. Without his bold moves, 1st Manassas and Ball's Bluff would have been quite different.
Mark Warren
Hairy Nation

boozie
03-06-2008, 11:45 AM
I think the whole top 10 thing was lame.

I do agree with John Bowen not getting enought credit, it's always a pleasure to read about him. Of course i've always been a Benjamin Franklin Cheatham fan too. He had one of the biggest funerals as far as attendence goes that Nashville has ever seen. Most were his old troops, that really says something about a leader to me.

Andrew Kasmar
03-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Hi,

1 James Longstreet
2 Patrick Celburne
3 Thomas Jackson ( Stonewall Jackson)
4 Hood as a brigade commander

Andrew Kasmar
4th Missouri Company E

Steve Acker
03-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Mahone as a division commander through 64 and 65. He kept his division viable when others were not able to.

Steve Acker

Union Navy
03-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Once again, generals grab the headlines while the underdog Confederate Navy goes begging. Not many admirals to choose from:

1. Franklin Buchanan
2. John Randolph Tucker (later rear admiral in Peruvian Navy)
3. Raphael Semmes