PDA

View Full Version : Thank You from Vicksburg NMP

Vicksburg Dave
02-08-2010, 11:26 AM
On behalf of Vicksburg National Military Park I would like to thank all who participated in this weekend's event. I cannot praise Pat Landrum enough for his hard work and commitment to authenticity; the field of living history would be much poorer without him. Any time you want to come back and do it again, let us know; you are always welcome at Vicksburg!

Cordially,

David Slay

PVT.THIB
02-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Dave,
Thanks for letting us play in your yard. Your talk at the Graveyard Road was great.
Thanks,
Thib

jones56ga
02-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Agreed, That was a lot of fun. Definitely worth the trip!

mboyce
02-08-2010, 03:45 PM
I had a great time too, and really enjoyed the talks.
Thanks,
Marvin Boyce

briangauthier
02-08-2010, 04:18 PM
The talks with us all there, listening like your disciples was fantastic. Military parks will never look the same. You did a great job.

tater
02-08-2010, 04:46 PM
It was a great experience. I was happy to be able to come bug you and Tim again!

jarednichols
02-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Agreed, highlight of trip was the talk on the cemetary road. Thank you for hosting us.

Vicksburg Dave
02-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Next time I think I tactical exercise along the Graveyard Road would be educational. It makes my blood run cold to think of the damage inflicted on the Union column when they emerged from the cut into the sights of Bowen's men.

David Slay

Jon The Beloved
02-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Thanks for giving me and Mr. Gray a tour around the park and the Cairo. You guys went all out for us. Glad I could view the site the way it is best experienced.. through the footsteps of the men and in the company of like minds. Thanks.

boreguard
02-08-2010, 08:25 PM
I'm sorry I couldn't make it, my loss for sure. Mr. Landrum's contributions to the hobby and the quest to keep history alive are to be commended.

Three cheers and a Tiger for Pat !

Craig L Barry
02-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Speaking for the STRI National Military Park volunteers, of which Mr Landrum is a distinguished
participant and new member, we couldn't agree more with your assessment of his fieldcraft and cooking
skill in the context of effective living history and historic weapons demos. We only wish we could get him to quit
drinking strawberry wine in the parking lot when he is supposed to be on the field.

coastaltrash
02-09-2010, 12:25 AM
All,
Since I was a really small child I have always been interested in the Vicksburg Campaign. Due in large part to it being the closest National Park to my home town, it was always a place I wanted to go as often as I could. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I was only able to visit Vicksburg once when I was 10 years old. I remember for YEARS I kept that Visitors Center Map folded up and in my bookshelf like it was a piece of treasure. In 2001 I took part in my first event at Vicksburg with Cleburne's (the REAL Cleburne's) and that is when I met Rick Martin. When I approached Rick in 2006 about hosting "Life on the Line" I believe he wanted to see how willing I was, and the group was to do what the park needed for their programs vs doing what the reenactor wants to do. We did Federal 3 out of the first 4 times we did a program for the park, and those 4 times were from November 2006-June 2007! That is basically going to the park once a month! Over the years the park has really become mine and the Independent Rifles "Home". I'm very thankful for being given the chance to host programs for Vicksburg and hope they rely on myself and the Independent Rifles for our support as much as we rely on them, without the support of the park staff it couldn't happen. I consider David, Rick, Tim and Patti some of the finest people I have been able to work with, and consider them all friends. I am also looking forward to working with them and the new Superintendent- Mr. Michael Madell going into some really GREAT 150th Programs.

jhuether
02-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Dave and Pat,

Thanks for the great experience. Pat you set the right tone when you told us Saturday morning it was about educating us as much as the public. I had been to Vicksburg a few times over the past few years, but never saw a clearer picture than during the march. And Dave, your talk at the Graveyard Rd was great. Thanks.

Jason

Parault
02-10-2010, 10:36 PM
I want to say great job and thank you. I think that Pat did a good job putting this together. The Park went out of their way to make us feel welcome. The chefs, who made sure the food was edible, it was good seriously. That was some of the best coffee, especially when you don't have to make it. I enjoyed the private tours and talks.

PogueMahone
02-11-2010, 10:36 AM
The chefs, who made sure the food was edible, it was good seriously. That was some of the best coffee ...

Trust me, no one was more surprised than us at how well the beans and stew turned out. We invoked the name of the Great Overlord of Culinary Skills more than once as we discussed all the possible ways to mess things up.

Silas
02-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Told Mrs. Silas about the Saturday lunch. Very tasty. By evening, the entire bivouac had a certain Blazing Saddles quality to it.

fahtz
02-11-2010, 10:13 PM
The commissary did not have that problem... must be the weak systems of the rank and file.

Jeff Thompson
02-12-2010, 12:00 PM
David, I too would like to extend my appreciation to you, Tim and the Park for allowing us to hold this event. Your talks were great and shed a different perspective on the history than what you read. I also want to thank Pat for putting on another great event there at Vicksburg. He obviously is doing it right and has a great connection with you and the Vicksburg Staff to keep bringing us back.