Army Drawers

New Item: CS Gov't "Tax in Kind" Bags....

CS Gov't "Tax in Kind" Bags (Reproduction)

These bags were provided by the Confederate government to southern farmer's so that they may be used to pay their 10% "tax in kind" in goods such as grain, corn, wheat, corn meal, vegetables, etc.

Les Jenson says that thousands of these were produced by the CS gov't but only three or so are known to have survived. One at the Confederate Museum in Richmond, one at Gettysburg NPS that has only the front half and, one in a private collection.
    The originals came in at least two measurements. Either 22 in. wide and 32 in. tall or... 22 x 27 inches. Each with stenciling reading either "The Confederate States" or "Confederate States" and a draw string at the top for closure. One of these can be found on page 214 of the CS Volume of Echoes of Glory. It shows what's identified as a 'Confederate flour bag'. The dimensions on it are 22" x 27" and the stencil, while reading 'Confederate States', is different.
    These reproductions are very strong and serviceable. Made of heavy cotton twill, measuring 22 x 27 inches, with a hemp draw string and with black ink stenciling just like the originals. See a copy of an original and more information on my web site:
    www.confederatesaddles.com under "Photo Galleries", "More Confederate and Other Period Horse Equipment", page 2.

While not necessarily an item of "military issue", its certainly Confederate and certainly "issue" of a different, ala' "Gov't" kind. It is common sense that many of these would have made it into the field via the quartermaster for issue of rations to the armies.
    Buy one to dress up your quartermaster, field or camp impression, to carry your rations, or just to haul your reenactment "stuff"!

Cost: $18 shipped (lower 48 only). Elsewhere inquire within. I have several ready to ship!

Email Only!! No PM's PLEASE!

* Can also be found on my web site: "For Sale", "Relics & Reproductions", Pg 24

Ken R Knopp
    krk1865@bellsouth.net
    Approved Vendor
    Charter Member
    Cav Forum Moderator
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: New Item: CS Gov't "Tax in Kind" Bags....

Just for the record.....these are not brand new but "slightly used". I used them at our Cavalry Camp of Instruction last weekend so they show a few stains from sitting on the damp ground. Still, they were not loaded and hauled or carried anywhere so have not had stress on them. In other words, in excellent condition! Which is why they are so cheap!

Thanks, Ken R KNopp

Unless someone changes their mind, all of the "used" bags are sold. Sorry, they went fast! I will have some new ones made up quickly but at a slightly higher cost of $20 each including shipping. Thank you!

Ken R Knopp

I just received two of these bags - they look even better in the flesh. Ken's communication and rapid shipping are highly commendable. Many thanks!
    Paul Jonsson (England, UK)

Thread Information