If you’re wondering what to give the campaigner who has everything, this may help. These are the comforts from home, all handstitched with great fabrics. The best part is that preservation will benefit, as well.
25% of proceeds for will be donated to CWPT and multiplied with their current $2.50 to $1 matching funds.
10% discount for active and retired modern military and law enforcement personnel
Comfort and Necessary Kit $65 ppd ($16.25 to preservation)
Because of all the time involved in making all the parts and pieces of these kits, they are rather rare. They make great Christmas gifts.
3 available - 1 brown kit and 2 green kits, each consisting of:
• Large, handsewn bag containing a bounty of things to comfort a soldier or civilian
• Embroidered needle book
FHW wool• Pasteboard thread winder with thread drawn through beeswax
silk and cotton embroidery
bone and paper backed tin buttons
needles already threaded with waxed thread
FHW logwood dyed cotton• 3 hanks of hemp twine in three thicknesses (handyman’s friend of the 1800’s)
FHW natural linen
non-mercerized black cotton
• Lye and tallow soap in handsewn cloth bag
To treat poison ivy, make a stiff lather and let it dry on affected skin.
• Unbleached Muslin “necessary cloths” pre-washed for softness and snipped at the middle edge to divide easily
• Woven cloth and shirting cloth
• Cornstarch bag (one handsewn bag inside a second one to prevent spillage)
Cornstarch has long been used as powder to prevent chafing and absorb sweat. Simply pat the inner bag of cornstarch against your skin and feel relief from chafing. The cornstarch will be dispensed through the pores of the muslin. Keep tightly drawn, fold over the top and store in the second handsewn bag. Refillable.
• Handsewn bag for easily locating keys, or for concealing modern medical necessities
• Handsewn toothbrush bag for protecting toothbrush from most of what is in the field
• Handsewn bag with fatwood chips and kindling for starting a fire in any weather condition
• Handsewn extra bags for storing rations, CDV’s, or anything you’d like
• Flour sack towel – prewashed for softness (only item that is machine stitched)
• Lump of beeswax wrapped in cotton cloth for easing chapped lips (warm slightly) and waxing thread
• Journal – 4” x 5 1/2”, marbleized and shellacked cover, 100% acid free cotton rag paper pages that are hand stitched with linen thread for individual removal
• Penknife sharpened cedar pencil
• Two tins of strike anywhere matches in two sizes
• Two 100% stearine candles
Sleeping Caps are completely hand stitched wool and woven cotton with hand made and braided wool tassels $45 ppd ($11.25 to preservation) 2 available
• 1. Beige, cream, green, and rust striped wool with cream woven cotton and cream merino wool tassel size med-large 22”-23˝”
• 2. Brown and cream striped wool with brown and cream cotton and merino wool tassel size med-large 22”-23˝”
Hat Size...Head Circumference Above Brow
6 7/8..................21 1/2"
7 1/8..................22 1/4"
7 1/4..................22 5/8"
7 1/2..................23 1/2"
7 5/8..................23 7/8"
7 3/4..................24 1/4"
These are ready to be sent. If you’d like any of them, please post here, PM, or e-mail at PreservationParcels@hotmail.com to reserve for up to seven days. Money orders, personal checks or Paypal at firstname.lastname@example.org gladly accepted.
stitch by stitch, acre by acre