LD Haning
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Behavior of Soldiers Wounded in Battle by Kevin O'Beirne, Columbia Rifles

"Howling Dervishes Dancing and Kicking Around in our Ranks": The Behavior of Soldiers Wounded in Battle by Kevin O'Beirne, Columbia Rifles.

The attached article is provided here with permission by Kevin O'Beirne, Columbia Rifles.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Re: The Behavior of Soldiers Wounded in Battle by Kevin O'Beirne, Columbia Rifles

This article was published as “Taking Hits: The Behavior of Soldiers Wounded in Battle”, Civil War Historian magazine, January/February 2006, Vol 2 No 1, and was re-printed without permission as, “The Behavior of Soldiers Wounded in Battle: Taking Hits”, Camp Chase Gazette magazine, September 2006 (plagiarized article credited to “A.J. Fisk”).

This article is also included in The Columbia Rifles Resarch Compendium, 2nd Edition.

Re: The Behavior of Soldiers Wounded in Battle by Kevin O'Beirne, Columbia Rifles

That really helped me. I just wish I knew how to ad moulage at a moment's notice (Blood spraying, torn limb, etc.) It's a very nice article, and every reenactor should read it.

the only shortcoming with the "blood" spurting from ones mouth, or the sudden spurt of "blood" issuing forth from ones body, is that all forms of fake blood that I have seen stain clothing. So unless you want to have a bloodsoaked uniform, then you should keep at a distance from the fake blood.

It would be interesting to see people dragging severed limbs on and off of the battlefield.
    Tyler Gibson

The Independent Rifles

Direct Descendant of

Henry Whittington, 37th Mississippi Infantry (WIA Franklin, Died/buried at Camp Douglas, IL 1865)
    Usant Quave, 3rd Mississippi Infantry
    George Washington Noble, 3rd Mississippi Infantry
    Cornelius Watson, 2nd Florida Infantry (Captured at Cedar Creek, Released from Ship Island, MS 1865)
    Charles Byrd, Steedes Mississippi Cavalry Bn.
    Edward Byrd, 1SG, Co. B 14th CS Cavalry

WHERE CAN I PURCHASE A COPY OF The Columbia Rifles Resarch Compendium, 2nd Edition.

WHERE CAN I PURCHASE A COPY OF The Columbia Rifles Resarch Compendium, 2nd Edition., 1ST EDITION ETC?
    drsimm@juno.com

"It would be interesting to see people dragging severed limbs on and off of the battlefield".--Tyler Gibson

NO it is not, I assure you.
    Dale Beasley
    J. M. Wesson Lodge 317
    A.E.K.D.B.

Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004

"Grant stood by me when I was crazy, and I stood by him when he was drunk, and now we stand by each other" --General William T Sherman

Dale-

Agreed.

-Johnny

John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Dale, agreed, seeing wounded and dead in real life is not fun, especially when you know them!!!

Don Woods
    USMC
    OIF II
    Don Woods
    Member CWPT
    Pvt Issac N. Hudson: 31st Mississippi Regt.
    Cpl Hugh L. Hudson: 17th Mississippi Regt.
    (Died of Disease in 1862, Leesburg, Va.)
    Pvt William Preston Lewallen: 33d Alabama Regt.

Quote Originally Posted by tater View Post
    all forms of fake blood that I have seen stain clothing. So unless you want to have a bloodsoaked uniform, then you should keep at a distance from the fake blood.

It would be interesting to see people dragging severed limbs on and off of the battlefield.
    Regarding the fake blood, staining of clothing is just one reason why one rarely sees it used in reenacting, and usually when it is, it's by someone with a "head wound" or something similar.

As for soldier-impressionists "dragging severed limbs on and off the" field, why would soldiers in the Civil War have done such a gruesome thing? This isn't a George Romero film. In those days when it was hacked off by a cannonball, it was gone for good. They didn't re-attach limbs in those days.

I suggest that there's a difference between portraying a wounded soldier and portraying the gore that was present on every Civil War battlefield. The former is certainly feasible and probably desirable for those who do "more-accurate" portrayals overall; the latter is, like "authentic" disease, an aspect of the Civil War that reenactors do not and should not portray. The reason why the topic of battlefield gore was covered at all in the essay is because it was a reality of the battlefield, and it's important for reenactors to understand if they are going to actually be knowledgable about this subject.

Regarding the CRRC, if you want info on obtaining one, use "www.google.com" with "Columbia Rifles Research Compendium" in the search window, or go to www.columbiarifles.org and click on the big CRRC2 icon.
    Last edited by Kevin O'Beirne; 12-18-2007 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Beasley View Post
    "It would be interesting to see people dragging severed limbs on and off of the battlefield".--Tyler Gibson

NO it is not, I assure you.
    Dale, agree 100% Half the reason I can tolerate this hobby is the lack of blood. Somethings just dont need to be seen again. Seen it, had a comrade lose an arm, No Thanks. We start doing this, I am out.
    Robert W. Hughes
    Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
    Thrasher Mess
    Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
    ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
    Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
    And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information