Some customer feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some customer feedback

This forum is not up yet but I wanted to publicly thank 2 vendors for some superb work they have done for me and others:

First up is Karin Timour, High Priestess of Knitting. I may be starting to sound like a broken record but Karin has outdone herself this time. She has produced a pair of socks that are a copy of one of the US Sanitary Commission's "message" socks, issued to Union soldiers. They are blue and natural in color and extremely well made socks. On the top of the foot of each one is knitted the following: "Point These Toes" and on the other "Always Toward the Rebels."

Karin's socks fit like gloves, not like socks - sounds weird but you will know it when you try a pair on. They are also period correct very small gauge knitting, the knitting equivalent of a Chris Daley handsewn buttonhole. This makes them warmer and less subject to stretching and or shrinking. Interestingly, they feel better on your feet on long marches, maybe because the individual ribs don't rub like they can on more loosely woven socks and the fact that they simply fit better. Found that out climbing Lookout Mountain. Karin takes custom orders and be prepared to measure your feet in 50 different directions :-)

Next is Neill Rose of South Carolina. Neill is producing super high quality items based on original artifacts in the South Carolina Relic Room and other collections. He was one of the driving forces behind Greg Starbuck's outstanding Morgan Kepi project. I have received a CS officer's sword belt, canteen sling and "D buckle" belt and all are extremely impressive. He included original hardware on each of these items. Additionally he made a fantastic copy of the William Brands canvas cap pouch in the Atlanta History Center (3 in stock!). Neill works under the period name of "Love and Wienges" a saddle maker from Charleston who started their business in 1856. Low volume, high quality, great service.
    Last edited by DougCooper; 12-11-2003, 07:11 PM.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org
Working...
X