white buff musket sling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white buff musket sling

At the early December Franklin show I acquired an original musket sling. In all measurements it matches the pre-war version of the U.S. M.1839 "gun strap", except it is white buff. Opinions of its derivation range from runs made to go with the Remington contract "Zouave" rifle to eyewash for Lincoln's second inaugural. One person, an undeniable expert in 19th Century U.S. military leather, asserted that ALL prewar M.1839 gun straps were russet. I tend to believe (oh, cursed word!) it's of prewar State or militia usage, but have lacked evidence. Recently, whilst re-re-re- reading the Time-Life "Arms and Equipment of the Confederacy", I came across a photograph on page 92. It purports to show members of the New Orleans Washington Artillery wearing their pre-war dress uniforms in 1861. The soldier at the extreme left is posed in white belts and is shouldering what appears to be an M.1842 musket sporting a white (buff?) gun strap. On page 135 of volume I of the National historical Society's series "The Image of War: 1861 - 1865" is posed sergeant Dore of the 7th New York Militia, armed with what appears to be an M.1855 rifle-musket equipped with a white (buff?) gun strap. Although secondary sources,the Military Collector & Historians series "Military Uniforms in America" illustrates the Troy Citizen Corps 1836-1847, the 3rd. U.S. Infantry 1846-1851, Ellsworth's Zouave Cadets 1859-1860, and the Cincinnati Rover Guards 1853 sporting white gun straps on their muskets. I feel a tad better affixing my white buff strap to an 1853 Palmetto musket.
    Last edited by David Fox; 12-30-2012, 04:34 PM.
    David Fox
Working...
X