Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fort Donelson, 1862, Virginia ordnance and types of arms.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Donelson, 1862, Virginia ordnance and types of arms.

Hello, Am compiling right now, the types of arms carried by all the Union and Confederate Regiments at the Battle and Siege of Fort Donelson, 1862. What I am having trouble with, are what type and types of arms were issued to the Virginia Regiments, the 51st, 56th, 36th, and 50th Virginia. I have some general notes-- flintlocks for some Virginia outfits and rifled muskets to some Virginia Regiments, but nothing specific. I know of the Virginia Regimental series, but because of Covid, that library in Madison is down for now. Seems the Confederates at Fort Donelson were outgunned. My research has a lot of rifles for the Union side, and few for the Confederates. Thank You in advance for your help.

CSUniforms

Tom Arliskas
    Tom Arliskas

Re: Fort Donelson, 1862, Virginia ordnance and types of arms.

Hello Tom, I was trying to do the same years ago. I had a difficult time with the Virginia Regiments too. Here is what I have on two of them:
    51st VA Inf Rgt - Virginia Flint-Lock muskets, US Flintlock muskets, altered and rifled flint muskets. 702 muskets may have been altered and rifled. Murphy and Madaus, Confederate Rifles and Muskets p. 84-85.
    36th VA Inf Rgt - altered English flint muskets. "And the cone-in-barrel altered Swan musket probably was one of the 500 'English Flint Muskets' issued to the 36th Virginia Infantry at the end of April of 1861." Murphy and Madaus, P.165.
    Good luck. Daniel Stewart

Comment

Re: Fort Donelson, 1862, Virginia ordnance and types of arms.

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
      Hello Tom, I was trying to do the same years ago. I had a difficult time with the Virginia Regiments too. Here is what I have on two of them:
      51st VA Inf Rgt - Virginia Flint-Lock muskets, US Flintlock muskets, altered and rifled flint muskets. 702 muskets may have been altered and rifled. Murphy and Madaus, Confederate Rifles and Muskets p. 84-85.
      36th VA Inf Rgt - altered English flint muskets. "And the cone-in-barrel altered Swan musket probably was one of the 500 'English Flint Muskets' issued to the 36th Virginia Infantry at the end of April of 1861." Murphy and Madaus, P.165.
      Good luck. Daniel Stewart
      Thank You! That was amazing!

Tom Arliskas
      CSuniforms
      Tom Arliskas

Comment

Working...
      X