Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taking it Like a Man: by Paul Calloway

A description by a participant

from the diary of John King of the 92nd Ill, published as "Three years with the 92nd Illinois

written Sept 20, 1863 dated from Chickamauga
    "when a ball strikes a man full force he is numbed in the parts struck, and the instant pain is not so great as that would be from a light stroke of a carriage whip. The pain comes on gradually. Sometimes a man recieving a flesh wound in an arm or leg in times of great excitement does not know it until he sees blood coming down the coat sleeve or feels it working between his toes in his boots."
    Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Yes, definitely a hit taker. I'd be lucky if I had more than two rounds at an event (one of which I discovered under my dresser from a few years before) so I basically have no choice. Plus I love the looks on some peoples' faces when they have someone in the line next to him take a fantastic hit and scream like they're actually dying.
      Pvt. Michael "Doc" Zembek

Chesapeake Volunteer Guard Co. E

"The Mud Pie Mess"

Comment

Stop screaming.............having been shot and having seen people get shot. VERY few trained Marines(soldiers) say anything other that a short curse and "hey somebody wrap this up" I haven't the slightest idea why it happens this way, but I do know the pain usually comes later, much later. If it's a serious wound ie chest wound they usually just drop, and start going into shock. Head wounds are tricky they're eirther going to kill you or it's just a scratch(that bleeds a lot). While wounded the greatest tendency that I've come across is for the person who is wounded to sit down, and just get treated, or start working their way towards the Corpsman, almost in a daze(amplified if morphine is given). The only time I've seen people react by yelling or screaming is when wounded in the groin, even amputees are usually pretty quiet.

When taking hits, if you "choose" to be wounded, for most people once you get wounded your priority becomes not dying, you tend to lose interest in fighting. Make your way to the rear as expeditiously as your "wound" allows. If you "choose" to die........just drop like a puppet with cut strings, or fall backwards physics and transfer of energy being what they are.....you should end up on your back with the sun in your eyes. .58 caliber miniballs won't send you flying, nor will it cause you to disappear in a cloud of sparks and smoke, and .50 BMG will not cut a person in half.

Simply stated, save the flailing and screaming for the hospital, where the shock should be wearing off and you're starting to feel the pain.
        Rob Warren
        GySgt 2d MarDiv

Comment

Working...
        X