X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New book out - Reluctant Rebels

Wanted to alert everyone here to a new book out from UNC
    Reluctant Rebels by Ken Noe
    My thoughts are first and foremost that its from a academic publisher so it cannot be rubbish and will actually contain footnotes, thank goodness. We as a forum often see information, "documentation" and books flung around which lack both a respected publishing house, lack footnotes or even a quality historiography or bibliography. Secondly I am very interested in reading this over the summer and maybe comparing notes with some of you guys. Im super excited to see how it compares with Pete Carmichael's "Eager Confederates" chapter in his book The Last Generation.

The official UNC statement:

"After the feverish mobilization of secession had faded, why did Southern men join the Confederate army? Kenneth Noe examines the motives and subsequent performance of "later enlisters." He offers a nuanced view of men who have often been cast as less patriotic and less committed to the cause, rekindling the debate over who these later enlistees were, why they joined, and why they stayed and fought.
    Noe refutes the claim that later enlisters were more likely to desert or perform poorly in battle and reassesses the argument that they were less ideologically savvy than their counterparts who enlisted early in the conflict. He argues that kinship and neighborhood, not conscription, compelled these men to fight: they were determined to protect their families and property and were fueled by resentment over emancipation and pillaging and destruction by Union forces. But their age often combined with their duties to wear them down more quickly than younger men, making them less effective soldiers for a Confederate nation that desperately needed every able-bodied man it could muster.
    Reluctant Rebels places the stories of individual soldiers in the larger context of the Confederate war effort and follows them from the initial optimism of enlistment through the weariness of battle and defeat.
    About the Author
    Kenneth W. Noe is Draughon Professor of History at Auburn University. He is author or editor of five books, including Perryville: This Grand Havoc of Battle.

Reviews
    "In this first-rate book, Noe carves out new terrain in a crowded field by identifying a significant new cohort of men to analyze: those who enlisted after the first wave of volunteering. Creating a new landmark in the historiography of the motivations of soldiers, Reluctant Rebels is an impressive work that captures the complex nature of the human condition."
    --William A. Blair, author of Cities of the Dead: Contesting the Memory of the Civil War in the South, 1865-1914

"This valuable study revises our opinion of those Confederate recruits who did not rush to the colors immediately but fought with determination when they ultimately joined the ranks. Noe employs their letters to give these men very human faces in a nuanced treatment of motivation and endurance. His work rewards not only readers fascinated by the Civil War, but also those who examine the interrelationships between culture and war in varied historical contexts."
    --John A. Lynn II, author of Battle: A History of Combat and Culture

Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Re: New book out!

Just finished it. I was very impressed. He has alot to say, things including his historiography which have needed to be covered badly. While I wasn't overly impressed with his writing style the book flowed and presented it's fact in a straightforward manner. Here is a limited preview.

After the feverish mobilization of secession had faded, why did Southern men join the Confederate army? Kenneth Noe examines the motives and subsequent performance of "later enlisters." He offers a nuanced view of men who have often been cast as less patriotic and less committed to the cause, rekindling the debate over who these later enlistees were, why they joined, and why they stayed and fought. Noe refutes the claim that later enlisters were more likely to desert or perform poorly in battle and reassesses the argument that they were less ideologically savvy than their counterparts who enlisted early in the conflict. He argues that kinship and neighborhood, not conscription, compelled these men to fight: they were determined to protect their families and property and were fueled by resentment over emancipation and pillaging and destruction by Union forces. But their age often combined with their duties to wear them down more quickly than younger men, making them less effective soldiers for a Confederate nation that desperately needed every able-bodied man it could muster.Reluctant Rebels places the stories of individual soldiers in the larger context of the Confederate war effort and follows them from the initial optimism of enlistment through the weariness of battle and defeat.

I beleive our end of the hobby can improve itself 100% by digesting his arguments and comparing them to the written history to date.
    Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

Drew, I think its a pretty important book, although I dont agree 100% with Dr. Noe, I think he does a good job of showing that there were different classes of CS soldiers, I think that you could see an even bigger split as opposed to his two. I think the conscripts should be viewed and studied seperately from the bulk of the men he studies. I always refer to there being three rounds of CS soldiers, those of early 61, those of late 61-62, and then the conscripts.
      Lee White
      Researcher and Historian
      "Delenda Est Carthago"
      "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Lee,
        Were you happy with his historiographical analysis? Historiography even for amateur historians seems difficult and from our constant rehashing of sources and issues with documentation especially on this board I would be curious to see if this new wave of "social" history coming out over the past 5 or 6 years would help. I felt especially happy with his analysis of slavery, and religion. Your notion of three rounds sounds perfectly reasonable and from you holds much academic weight. I will say through Noe makes a good case. (Well folks- anyone else get the bug to read this yet?)
        Drew

Comment

It's in the que to be ordered. Wish books weren't so dang expensive.
          Bryant Roberts
          Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
          palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
          X