Assasination!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assasination!

Today marks the aniversary of Lincolns asassination.
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Re: Assasination!

Yes it is! I have an original The New York Post written on April fifthteenth after Lincoln died. I would scan the Photocopy I have of it (The Original is in a frame), but my scanner pictures won't go onto this site.
    A sad day for America. If anyone would like to see the headline of his asassination send me an e-mail. I might be able to send it as an attachment.
    Last edited by theknapsack; 04-14-2004, 03:56 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
    I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
    Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
    Hard Head Mess
    Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
    Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Originally posted by theknapsack
      Yes it is! I have an original The New York Post written on April fifthteenth after Lincoln died. I would scan the Photocopy I have of it (The Original is in a frame), but my scanner pictures won't go onto this site.
      A sad day for America. If anyone would like to see the headline of his asassination send me an e-mail. I might be able to send it as an attachment.
      This is from the NEW YORK TIMES, April 15, 1865...

"Act of a Desperate Rebel" ...

Actually I have a letter somewhere from a Union cavalryman which lauds the assassination... I will see if I can post it here later.

from the Library of Congress
      Satan Tempting Booth to MURDER the President
      Attached Files
      Last edited by RyanBWeddle; 04-14-2004, 07:35 PM.
      Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
      – George Washington , 1789

Comment

I'll be going to Ford's Theatre at 10pm tonight, as I do every year. The back door which Booth escaped from is still there and the cobblestoned alley which exits onto F Street (called Baptist Alley during the war) is still extant. Very cool to go back there.

Comment

My New York Herald says:

EXTRA
          8:10 A.M.
          New York, Saturday, April 15, 1865.
          Death
          of
          President
          Further Details of the
          Great Crime.

Etc.
          It's a quite intrigueing Newspaper.

It also says
          J. Wilkes Booth, the Actor, the
          Alleged Assassin of the
          President
          &c., &c., &c.
          I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
          Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
          Hard Head Mess
          Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

"May we speak their names no more."
            Attached Files
            Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

Comment

Walked past Ford's and the Peterson House on the way back from lunch and noticed that the building next door to the north is being demolished. Carefully, I hope. Interested to see what goes in there next.

On another note, if you ever get the chance, take the Booth Escape Tour put on by the Mary Surratt House in MD. VERY COOL!!!:thumbs_up :thumbs_up
              Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

AC Forum Members,

In an effort to keep this thread on topic, I have deleted all the posts debating the appropriateness of one of our members comments.

We now return you to an intelligent discussion of the Lincoln assassination, already in progress.
                John Stillwagon

Comment

Here is some more from the Newspaper.
                  Here is the biggest Headline:
                  "IMPORTANT

Assassination
                  of
                  President Lincoln

The President Shot at the
                  Theatre Last Evening.

Secretary Seward
                  Daggered in his bed
                  BUT
                  Not Mortally Wounded."

Etc.

Here is an excerpt from some of the text:
                  "The President and Mrs. Lincoln were at Fords Theatre, listening to the preformance of The American Cousin, occupying the a box in the second tier. At the close of the third act a person entered the box occupied by the President and shot Mr. Lincold (R.E. note Yes, it says Lincold) in the head. The shot entered the back of his head and came out above the temple.
                  The Assassin then jumped from the box upon the stage and ran across to the other side, exhibiting a dagger in his hand, flourishing it in a tragical manner, shouting the same words repeated by the deperado at Mr. Sewards house, adding to it "The south is avenged,"(??) then escaped from the back entrance to the stage, but in his passage dropped his pistol and his hat."

There is much more bewildering information. What do you think? I suppose it ws writtin very fast so there are many typos and inaccurate information. Of course, I am not too educated on the subject, so please correct me if I am wrong. I wish I could scan it for you, but my scanner makes it a .TIF (not .TIFF) that won't upload onto my posts. Time to go to the books.
                  I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
                  Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
                  Hard Head Mess
                  Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

I can remember back in late 1963 (just two weeks after JFK's assassination) our family moved from suburban New York to rural North Georgia. The folks made a several day pitstop to sight-see Washington DC.

We visited Ford's Theatre and back then, it was a shell of a building, and there were several assassination-related artifacts behind plexiglass at the right side of the building. Some of the artifacts I remember were: the door that Booth whiddled out the peep-hole; Booth's derringer; Lincoln's life mask.

And accross the street in the room where Lincoln died, was the bloodstained pillow on his deathbed (under plexiglass).

Even for this six year old, it was a very memorable and moving visit, and even at that age, the similarity of the fate of our newly fallen leader to Lincoln was not lost on me; and on that same day, we paid our respects to JFK's fresh grave at Arlington.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanBWeddle
                      This is from the NEW YORK TIMES, April 15, 1865...

"Act of a Desperate Rebel" ...

Actually I have a letter somewhere from a Union cavalryman which lauds the assassination... I will see if I can post it here later.

from the Library of Congress
                      Satan Tempting Booth to MURDER the President
                      Ryan

This is an interesting variation on a theme based on a popular CDV of Booth. Thanks for posting it.

I find it hard to grasp at times just how famous a person Booth (and his family) was at the time. It is almost like if Drew Barrimore (family comparison) shot the president.
                      Robert Johnson

Comment

Working...
                      X