Demon of the Lost Cause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demon of the Lost Cause

I just finished reading this book today. It's an easy read at 150 pages. I think it is probably an adaptation of the author's dissertation for a popular audience. However, I think that is probably also its greatest weakness. It isn't as detailed and deep as a scholar might want, but the subject matter might not be what the average Civil War "buff" is interested in. However, I think it is perfect for those of us in the living history/reenacting community.

Essentially, Demon of the Lost Cause is a historiagraphy of Sherman literature. In this book Moody traces the evolution of the Sherman myth from contemporary newspapers to modern historians. The story is complicated, but presented clearly; and it certainly kept my attention. Irony abounds as Sherman goes from "traitor" to the North and on relatively friendly terms with the South during reconstruction to "demon" of the Lost Cause mythology. Moody argues that one of the reasons for the ease with which the myth of Sherman's "total war" and wanton destruction caught on was the desire of Sherman and his supporters to get back into the good graces of the North and how the myth played into the North's own psyche. (The latter was a fascinating point that I would have loved to see explored more. Moody argues that perhaps the North's acceptance of the lost cause had less to do with racial animosity as modern historians claim and more to do with the veterans' sense of accomplishment.) Another interesting point he makes in the chapter on modern historians is that while recent work has dismantled some of the Lost Cause mythology, Sherman's myth persists in part because it made a convenient point for anti-war historians during the Vietnam War.

I can write up a more thorough review if there is interest; and I'd be interested in hearing the thoughts of others who have read this book. I'd highly recommend it to all living historians/reenactors. It is a scholarly take on a somewhat obscure topic while still being very approachable. It is also very relevant. If you interact with the public (and even other reenactors), you hear a lot of claims about what Sherman did or didn't do during the war. This book puts these ideas into their historical context, explaining the origins of the myths.
    Tyler D. Scott
Working...
X