Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pinky Rings

Tristan,
    I just figured out I met you at Corinth a few years ago! Anyway in response to you ring request. There are two bone rings currently on ebay. Both of which are simple rings carved from probably a soup bone.

It isn't all that hard to carve on a soup bone man! I have found the hardest part is finding a soup bone with the right inside diameter after you carve out all the stuff. And it is cheaper than gold!
    Last edited by fahtz; 01-15-2008, 09:31 PM.
    Mitchell L Critel
    Wide Awake Groupie
    Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Yeah, Mitch. I remember you quite well. I may give the soupbone carving a try (found a few on eBay and may pick up a few). I'm in dental school and recently obtained about $1000 dollars worth of gold for free (so material isn't an issue). We have to cast gold crowns which is identical to the jewelry making process.
      Last edited by tsgalloway; 01-16-2008, 08:41 PM. Reason: I hate misspelling words…
      Tristan Galloway

Comment

It's a big thread to wade through, but there are at least two fine ring examples in the thread linked below. One of them is mine (original) the other is Pat Craddocks. As they are Masonic rings, they may not be directly applicable to you, but they are examples none the less.

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Tristan,

To help you out with the thread Mr. Runyon has suggested:

A photo of his pinky ring can be found at Post #45 on page 5 of the thread,

and mine is pictured in post #123 on page 13 of the thread.

Hope these are of some help.
          PATRICK CRADDOCK
          Prometheus No. 851
          Franklin, Tennessee
          Widows' Sons Mess
          www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

Tristan,
            Take a look at this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180206820217
            Mitchell L Critel
            Wide Awake Groupie
            Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

That was a nice one!!! I seen it, but buying sash buckles right now so couldn't afford it too!!! (By the way, I am intersted in civilian sash buckles and jewelry if anyone has them for sale!) I have ben studying the jewelry making process. While looking for material and tools I came about a company which sold the brass and copper rings. I can get them really reasonable if anyone is interested!!! I need to learning the plating process yet though. So they are unplated at this point!!!

The Mad MIck!!!
              Jeremy G. Richardson

Preserving History by Recreating the Past!

Comment

If you are all adding 2 plus 2...I now own that bone carved ring....
                Mitchell L Critel
                Wide Awake Groupie
                Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Mitch, very cool! Do it fit?
                  PATRICK CRADDOCK
                  Prometheus No. 851
                  Franklin, Tennessee
                  Widows' Sons Mess
                  www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

Pat,
                    It just shipped today. I am fairly certain it will fit on my pinky... Of course if it doesn't, or the times it is not in use it will be in the cabinet with the other bone and human hair personal accessories I own.
                    Mitchell L Critel
                    Wide Awake Groupie
                    Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Nice, Mitch. I noticed that fahtz was the winner. After your tip, I purchased 12 vintage bone rings for 12 dollars on eBay. I may try my hand at carving a few of them (from the pics, I may try to copy yours). Thanks for the heads-up. Have you come across any other such intricately designed bone rings (with good pics of course)? BTW, I did read your first post about floral designs, etc...
                      Last edited by tsgalloway; 01-16-2008, 08:43 PM.
                      Tristan Galloway

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrod Carter View Post
                        Tristan,

To help you out with the thread Mr. Runyon has suggested:

A photo of his pinky ring can be found at Post #45 on page 5 of the thread,

and mine is pictured in post #123 on page 13 of the thread.

Hope these are of some help.
                        Thanks for sharing your rings with us. I appreciate it. I'm interested in any and all designs.
                        Tristan Galloway

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Runyon View Post
                          It's a big thread to wade through, but there are at least two fine ring examples in the thread linked below. One of them is mine (original) the other is Pat Craddocks. As they are Masonic rings, they may not be directly applicable to you, but they are examples none the less.

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...terial+Culture

Justin, is this similar to your ring? It appears to be so. I may try to cast one along this line. I'm still weighing my options.
                          Attached Files
                          Tristan Galloway

Comment

Tristan,
                            Here you go, this ring is a more simple design. http://pages.gunsightantiques.com/50...921787295.html It is a basic initial carving and ink or some other sort of pigment was put into the carving. Nice ring, in fact this is what I based my first bone ring on.
                            Mitchell L Critel
                            Wide Awake Groupie
                            Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Tristan,

That is similar in shape with a few excepions. Mine is solid rose gold, and the top is actually pink shell that has been enamled white, then carved exposing the rosy pink again. The process has an Itallian name...cuerillian[sic] or something along those lines (sorry, I just speak German).
                              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
                              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
                              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
                              [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
                              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Very, very neat.
                                Tristan Galloway

Comment

Working...
                                X