Confederates Across Bridge in Fredericksburg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Confederates across bridge in Fredericksburg

Are the men sitting in the windows African American or is it just shadowing and the picture making them apear so to me?
    [FONT="Courier New"]LCpl .Edmund Lockhart
    United States Marine Corps [/FONT]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]5th Michigan Co.k
    "Saginaw Light Infantry"[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Edmund{Road Apple} View Post
      Are the men sitting in the windows African American or is it just shadowing and the picture making them apear so to me?
      My money would be on them being white soldiers. I doubt there'd be many non-soldiers on the extreme front line like that.
      Ryan Burns
      The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
      3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Comment

Originally posted by OleMissRebel View Post
        My money would be on them being white soldiers. I doubt there'd be many non-soldiers on the extreme front line like that.

Yea you do have a good point there, thanks for the clarification
        [FONT="Courier New"]LCpl .Edmund Lockhart
        United States Marine Corps [/FONT]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]5th Michigan Co.k
        "Saginaw Light Infantry"[/FONT]

Comment

One thing that I notice right off the bat:
          None of them are sporting the "Proper Rakish Hat Angle" so loved by us reenactors. Hats all appear to be pulled down low on the forehead to protect eyes from the sun.

Great pic!
          John Wickett
          Former Carpetbagger
          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I was just looking at this image trying to determine what material to purchase in a RD II jacket....and I noticed that there are NO soldiers in the picture with trousers lighter in color than their jackets....wonder why? Some match, some trousers are much darker? Is this common in CS pics in Virginia?
            Luke Gilly
            Breckinridge Greys
            Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Originally posted by lukegilly13 View Post
              I haven't either....this is a blank spot for me...how would this soldier have obtained a forage cap with that pattern. They show up in various pictures throughout the war (like the one I have on in my Avatar). I think the kepis in the picture are the RD type right?
              The state of North Carolina did issue some caps that may appear to be forage caps from a distance. I have one ID to the 27th NC on this page.
              Angelfire on Lycos, established in 1995, is one of the leading personal publishing communities on the Web. Angelfire makes it easy for members to create their own blogs, web sites, get a web address (domain) and start publishing online.
              Jim Mayo
              Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
              http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

I know from listening to a Les Jensen talk some time ago that in the spring of 1863 the ANV received a somewhat large amount of trousers made of black jean cloth. Obviously some of the soldiers in the photo are sporting some of the results of the Richmond clothing bureau's efforts.
                [COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]En Obtien!...James T. Miller[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Is it still assumed that this photo is from April, 1863 and the men are from the 17th Mississippi?

Joe Walker
                  Waco Guards

Comment

That is a great image of Mississippi boys in the field! I'd give near anything to see a uniformed portrait from life of Col. William Falkner (yeah, the William Faulkner's g-grandfather) in uniform.

I know there is a painted portrait of him in uniform at Rowan Oak in Oxford, Miss hanging in the parlour. Could you obtain a copy Ole Miss??

Thanks,
                    Erik McBroom
                    Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
                    16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
                    Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

Jim nice link! Thanks for the image of the hat! That hat could easily be mistaken for the McDowell pattern forage cap. I talked with a hat maker one time who told me that the depressed top was much quicker and cheaper to make and was often found on confederate hats...i wondered if he was implying originals but meaning farby reproductions. I started looking at pictures untill I did run across a few. Never knew where they came from!
                      Luke Gilly
                      Breckinridge Greys
                      Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Here's a question for you local folks. Are any parts of this bridge still there? In other words, could a person get a modern picture from this angle? Or better yet, maybe have a few pards get together and recreate the picture at ATB? Would be a spectacular way to come home and examine your impression!
                        Luke Gilly
                        Breckinridge Greys
                        Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

That particular bridge is long gone. A modern one is in its place.

The old Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac line (operated before and after the war) was acquired by CSX in 1991. You might find it interesting to contact CSX about posing on the bridge. I do not think they will let you drop the midsection in the Rappahannock, however.:D

I should note that my personal experiences with CSX for marathons and the like are usually met with "give us enough time and we will try to work something out".

See you at ATB.
                          Ley Watson
                          POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Thanks! That could be a neat picture....a group of reenactors possing on the modern bridge...i can see me ordering a copy of this pic and making a split frame! Appreciate the info!
                            Luke Gilly
                            Breckinridge Greys
                            Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by lukegilly13 View Post
                              Jim nice link! Thanks for the image of the hat! That hat could easily be mistaken for the McDowell pattern forage cap. I talked with a hat maker one time who told me that the depressed top was much quicker and cheaper to make and was often found on confederate hats...i wondered if he was implying originals but meaning farby reproductions. I started looking at pictures untill I did run across a few. Never knew where they came from!
                              Note: The evidence of a recessed crown is not indicative that the cap was from NC, manufactured in NC, or worn by NC soldiers. A review of images from several other states, including VA soldiers shows the use of recessed crowns on Early War Caps.

I'm assuming your hat maker's comment about it being easier to do a recessed crown (as opposed to the flat-top crown), is based on not having to use welts, and other joining methods in the construction...my opinion...it's probably all relative in the end, and not having much to do with easier...but rather the desired look, one was trying to achieve.

Paul B.
                              Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                              (Loblolly Mess)
                              [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                              [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                              [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                              [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

You're exactly right....however, it is evidence that recessed crowns are not necessarily farby. Believe it or not I never thought about original hat makers creating the recessed crown out of preference. My modern hatmaker said that it takes him several hours less time to make the recessed top. Getting back to the image itself, does anyone know the regimental history of this unit? How long and when were they in Fredericksburg?
                                Luke Gilly
                                Breckinridge Greys
                                Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Working...
                                X