Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Large group of Federals

Originally posted by OleMissRebel View Post
    I have ZERO information about who these men are or when/where it was taken.
    Where did you find the photo? If from LOC, what's the number? Some provenance might help.

Eric
    Eric J. Mink
    Co. A, 4th Va Inf
    Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Originally posted by Dignann View Post
      Where did you find the photo? If from LOC, what's the number? Some provenance might help.

Eric
      I found it on this website, which unfortunately doesn't give much details on the photos they have.

Ryan Burns
      The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
      3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Comment

Is that a corps badge on the fella in the big hat with his hand across his chest? The soldier with his fatigue blouse open and his hand clasped to a side. If so it might give a clue to location.

Steve Acker

Comment

Could this possibly be in front of either the Sanitary Commission or Christian Commission also? Kind of hard to determine without the provenance. I would expect some kind of dressings on at least one or two for a hospital, just speculation though.

Crabby
          Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
          John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

I gave the lack of bandages etc. some thought as well but figured it could be a group of men recovering from Bloody Flux or something. There probably would be some men with wounds I would imagine. The Sanitary Comm. thought is very plausable. It is a great image, too bad there is not more information available.
            Rob Walker
            Co. H
            119th NYSV
            Old Bethpage Village Restoration

Old Bethpage Village Restoration and Castle Williams on Governors Island safe for now. Thank you to everyone for your help!!

"There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness"

Comment

Sanitary or Christian Commission makes some sense. The vertical boards on the building in the right rear suggests a permanant camp. The lack of any sort of field equipment also suggests a rear area as well. No onw is wearing belts or boxes, no weapons.
              Might I suggest a paroled unit? There is an utter lack of joy among the fellows pictured, and the drummer a few officers could make up a mid to late war company sized unit. Very few peach fuzzed cheeks among those shown. These men have been on campaign and while in a group they suggest anything but happiness at being where ever they are.
              Lost in history.
              Steve Sullivan

Comment

Originally posted by rogue View Post
                Might I suggest a paroled unit? There is an utter lack of joy among the fellows pictured
                I think that is an EXCELLENT theory. I completely hadn't thought of that. They do look extremely dejected, as if they had all suffered the embarrassment of being captured at some point.
                Ryan Burns
                The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
                3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Comment

Another possibility for what is a splendid photograph is a Provost Marshal's office. I darkened the notice board in Photoshop and the notice to the right clearly states 'Passes'.
                  Chris O'Brien

Scalawag Mess
                  Volunteer Company
                  [URL="http://www.aesoc.org"]American Eagle Society[/URL]

Comment

I was thinking maybe Signal Corps. Note the pole coming up from the middle tent in the background (the one with the table & bench). Could that be a telegraph wire?
                    Brendan Hamilton
                    Jerusalem Plank Road

Comment

While scanning the newly digitized MOLLUS collection, I was excited to find another view of the same group--with a caption!! As some of you surmised, this is a convalescent camp. There is no date, but the location given is "near Alexandria, Virginia."

You can find it here:
                      http://www.ahco.army.mil/site/index.jsp

Thank you to Kaleb Dissinger for posting the link.
                      Brendan Hamilton
                      Jerusalem Plank Road

Comment

I also noticed that the guy laying down to the left of the drummer, has a fife leaning up against his leg. Also it seems a handful of the guys have cravats on, many without.
                        Travis Franklin
                        "Patrick Fhailen"

The Missoura Shirkers
                        4th Mo. Inf.

"The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of specious humbug designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern states." Charles Dickens, 1862

Comment

Interesting to see the drummer actually sitting on the head of his drum.
                          Michael Ovsenik
                          5th Texas Co E
                          Medich's Battalion

Comment

Yeah most of the time you see drummer sitting on their drum its on the side of it...When on a break during a long march I usually rest sitting on it, but like the man in the image, usually on the head side. Always feels like im going to smash it when I sit on the side like in other images.
                            Man there is so much in this image its nuts!
                            Travis Franklin
                            "Patrick Fhailen"

The Missoura Shirkers
                            4th Mo. Inf.

"The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of specious humbug designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern states." Charles Dickens, 1862

Comment

Working...
                            X