Union troops resting in a field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union troops resting in a field

The New York State Military Museum's website has a great blurb IDing some of the men in this photograph:
    'William W. Silkworth, of Long Branch, New Jersey, a veteran who had an opportunity to inspect some of the pictures reproduced in the PHOTOGRAPHIC HISTORY, recognized this group as Company B, 170th Regiment, New York Volunteers. You cannot appreciate or understand fully my amazement and joy in the discovery,' he wrote to the editors. 'There right in the front of the picture sits my brother playing cards (You will note that he is left handed. We laid him away in front of Petersburg). With him is John Vandewater, Geo. Thomas and Wash. Keating. There is Charlie Thomas and all the rest as trueas life. With the exception of two, I have not seen any of the boys for thirtyyears.'"

Got these from Alexander Street's online CW database (http://alexanderstreet.com/resources...war.access.htm):

Washington Katen (Union)
    - Also: George W. Keating
    Enlistment:
    - 18 years of age at time of enlistment
    - Enlisted on Aug 22 1862 at Brooklyn, NY as Private
    Mustering information:
    - Enlisted into B Company, 170th Infantry (New York) on Oct 7 1862
    - Discharged from 170th Infantry (New York) on Jun 29 1865
    Listed as:
    - Wounded on Jun 16 1864 at Petersburg, VA

George W. Thomas (Union)
    Enlistment:
    - 17 years of age at time of enlistment
    - Enlisted on Aug 13 1862 at Brooklyn, NY as Private
    Mustering information:
    - Mustered out from 170th Infantry (New York) on Jul 15 1865 at Washington, DC
    Promotions:
    - Promoted to Corpl (Full, Vol) on Apr 15 1864 (Estimated day)
    - Promoted to Sergt (Full, Vol) on Mar 25 1865
    - Promoted to 1st Sergt (Full, Vol) on Jul 5 1865
    Listed as:
    - Wounded on Jun 16 1864 at Petersburg, VA
    Sources for the above information:
    - New York: Report of the Adjutant-General, (1894-1906)

George L. Silkworth (Union)
    Enlistment:
    - Enlisted on Aug 23 1862 at Brooklyn, NY as Private
    Mustering information:
    - Killed while serving in 170th Infantry (New York) on Jun 16 1864 at Petersburg, VA
    Sources for the above information:
    - New York: Report of the Adjutant-General, (1894-1906)

John J F Vandewater (Union)
    Enlistment:
    - 22 years of age at time of enlistment
    - Enlisted on Sep 3 1862 at Brooklyn, NY as Private
    Mustering information:
    - Killed while serving in 170th Infantry (New York) on May 24 1864 at North Anna River, VA
    Promotions:
    - Promoted to Corpl (Full, Vol) on Apr 15 1863

Charles H. Thomas (Union)

Enlistment:
    - Enlisted on Aug 20 1862 at Brooklyn, NY as Private

Mustering information:
    - Died of disease as POW while serving in 170th Infantry (New York) on Dec 7 1864 at Salisbury, NC (Died of intermittent fever)

Promotions:
    - Promoted to Sergt (Full, Vol) (date not indicated)
    - Reduced to Private (Full, Vol) (date not indicated) (Reduced to ranks)
    - Promoted to Corpl (Full, Vol) on Apr 10 1863

Listed as:
    - POW on Aug 25 1864 at Reams' Station, VA

Gives you an idea of how awful the months to come would be for all these men if 2 of the 4 card players were KIA and the other 2 were wounded.
    Brendan Hamilton
    Jerusalem Plank Road

Comment

Just noticed the Corporal stripes on the card player second from the left. He must be John Vandewater, KIA at North Anna. The first from the left, who appears to be left-handed, is probably George Silkworth, KIA at Petersburg.
      Brendan Hamilton
      Jerusalem Plank Road

Comment

Sir, I have seen this image in books but what a difference with high resolution. If I may call attention at closer inspection somethings I've not found noticeable before. Let me start with the fourth image from the top, the man resting his head in hand looks to maybe have been mule kicked. (My grandfather was mule kicked farming as a boy and his nose healed big). I also can't make out his headgear whatsoever unless perhaps its a sort of baggy fez. In the first image as far as can be observed are two frock coats on the stacks of arms. Fellow in third image wearing "rain cover" forage cap looks to be unbloused as does, IMHO, fellow playing checkers in image five. Officer reclining in front has his felt hat on the ground and you can see he's holding his sword in his left hand .The fellow handing papers to standing officer, IMHO, may also be an officer, (do I see shoulder straps)? The in view nco's and officers both are wearing rectangular belt plates whereas the soldiers wearing plates that can be seen give the impression of being oval. There's a lot more yet to bring out of these images, thanks for posting them. Here is a site with some photo's of artifacts that made me think "baggy fez". My two cents, thanks. http:www.historicalimagebank.com Just click online catalog, click drum, click drum, click album:cw hats and caps, page fifteen.
        Last edited by yeoman; 06-27-2008, 12:54 AM. Reason: spelling
        Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
        Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
        Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
        www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

It looks to me like the seargent in the last picture has the skirt of his frock coat hooked to the rear skirt. What do ya'll think?
          Morgan B. Tittle

The Drunken Lullaby Mess

"... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language ... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
          Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Comment

Looks like the guy playing cards on the right just made a king high flush but the guy on the left has an ace high diamond flush. Lots of action!!
            Last edited by OldState; 06-27-2008, 10:31 PM.
            "God created Man...Sam Colt made us equal."

Comment

I've been looking at this image for over 25 years, but to see it in high-res is awesome! Thanks for posting this!
              Though it appears that one of the gentlemen has a very good "Bluff" hand, the player second from the right is clearly playing a card onto an already partially formed trick. This would lead me to think that they are playing euchre, which would also explain why some of them have four cards and some five, as some have already played the trick. This is also why all their cards are so high, as euchre is played with the nines, aces, and face cards.
              Incidentally, I love how they are "cheating" their hands to expose them to the camera- a classic move in period "gentlemen relaxing" shots.
              Arch Campbell
              Hairy Nation
              Loyal Union League
              Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

Ryan,

Where did you find the higher-res. scan? I know this image is at NARA and not the LOC... did you order one of the scans from the print house NARA contracted out to?

I wish NARA would digitise the rest of their images. They've got the glass plate negatives for the Confederate prisoners in the Punch Bowl, as well as a pile of really cool small group camp portraits.
                Jason R. Wickersty
                http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
                Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
                Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
                Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
                Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

The guy 2nd left from the drum, with the Van Dyke and floppy hat, he absolutely knows he's staring ahead at us in the future through some kind of steam-charged mirror connected to some kind of telegraph 'lectric. And he's amused at the prospect. The McCarthy in me feels I'm sitting right there with that bunch of Micks n' Mubs, and I tip my kepi to that fella.

Thanks for posting the close-ups.

Dan Wykes
                  Last edited by Danny; 07-11-2008, 07:28 PM.
                  Danny Wykes

Comment

How steam punk! Perhaps he might imagine a computer like this:

http://steampunkworkshop.com/images/M19.jpg
                    Brendan Hamilton
                    Jerusalem Plank Road

Comment

The National Archives has another view of this same company on its Flickr page:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	4166855024_da3ddcd884_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	223584
                      Original Caption: Company of Infantry on parade U.S. National Archives’ Local Identifier: 111-B-288 From:: Series: Mathew Brady Photographs of Civil War-Era Personalities and Scenes, (Record Group 111) Photographer: Brady, Mathew, 1823 (ca.) - 1896 Coverage Dates: ca. 1860 - ca. 1865 Subjects: American Civil War, 1861-1865 Brady National Photographic Art Gallery (Washington, D.C.) Persistent URL: catalog.archives.gov/id/524707 Repository: Still Picture Records Section, Special Media Archives Services Division (NWCS-S), National Archives at College Park, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD, 20740-6001. For information about ordering reproductions of photographs held by the Still Picture Unit, visit: www.archives.gov/research/order/still-pictures.html Reproductions may be ordered via an independent vendor. NARA maintains a list of vendors at www.archives.gov/research/order/vendors-photos-maps-dc.html Access Restrictions: Unrestricted Use Restrictions: Unrestricted

It's not ID'd but enough of them are unmistakeable from the "resting" photograph. This time they're lined up in a field with their winter quarters visible in the background. Well worth a look.
                      Brendan Hamilton
                      Jerusalem Plank Road

Comment

Originally posted by yeoman View Post
                        Let me start with the fourth image from the top, the man resting his head in hand looks to maybe have been mule kicked. (My grandfather was mule kicked farming as a boy and his nose healed big). I also can't make out his headgear whatsoever unless perhaps its a sort of baggy fez.
                        He may just have his forage cap turned around with the visor facing to the rear. ~Gary
                        Gary Dombrowski
                        [url]http://garyhistart.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

In the second picture, I see only one soldier in the back row with his trousers tucked into his boots. Also in the same photo, the soldier who is 6th from our right, has an interesting beard that I've not yet seen re-enacted. Great picture made even better with this resolution.

G
                          Gary Lee Bradford, Captain
                          9th Kansas Regiment Volunteer Cavalry, Company F
                          On patrol of the KS / MO border

[COLOR="#4B0082"]In honor of my great-great uncle, Pvt. Sidney J. Hatch, 7th Tennessee Cavalry (US), Co. D, who died Sept. 23, 1863, at the age of 21. .[/COLOR]

Comment

Name:	170th NY in Frocks.jpg
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	223596These images in my file were also marked 170th NY. They may be mis-labeleled.

Name:	170th ny.jpg
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	223595
                            [B][/B][B][/B][B]Bill Slavin[/B]
                            SUVCW, SVR,
                            Liberty Guards Mess

GG Grandson of [B]Pvt. Willis Shattuck[/B] (1842-1912), Co. F, 16th NY Vol Inf and Co. K, 73rd Ohio Vol Inf

"[I]Dig [I]Johnnies! We're coming for you!"[/I][/I]
                            Six foot seven inch tall Union Brigade Commander Newton Martin Curtis as he tossed a handful of shovels over the traverse at Fort Fisher. The shovels had been sent from the rear with the suggestion of entrenching for a siege.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmayo View Post
                              Looks like they are using M-1842 smooth bores. I suspect that more 42s were in use that late in the war than is commonly thought.
                              Well we know from personal accounts that the Irish were known to have 42s at Fredericksburg and Antietam. Buck and Ball is super deadly when in close range , and the Irish sure could get close. But like you said the Overland campaign was in April of 64, seems like even the Irish would have been forced to switch to the 61 or 63 by then, if not to just to standardize the ammunition being supplied. I guess I need to try and dig up some information on weapon reports. Now we know the unit I will see what I can find. I really like the guy with the chops reading the paper, great picture. Thank you for posting Sir.

R/S
                              Kyle W. Sanders

Armory Guards
                              Pick'in eny Mess

"America has no north, no south, no east, no west. The sun rises over the hills and sets over the mountains, the compass just points up and down, and we can laugh now at the absurd notion of there being a north and a south. We are one and undivided." -Sam Watkins-1st Tennessee

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt. Sanders View Post
                                Well we know from personal accounts that the Irish were known to have 42s at Fredericksburg and Antietam. Buck and Ball is super deadly when in close range , and the Irish sure could get close. But like you said the Overland campaign was in April of 64, seems like even the Irish would have been forced to switch to the 61 or 63 by then, if not to just to standardize the ammunition being supplied. I guess I need to try and dig up some information on weapon reports. Now we know the unit I will see what I can find. I really like the guy with the chops reading the paper, great picture. Thank you for posting Sir.

R/S
                                Not just the Irish, but the majority of the 2nd Corps carried .69 caliber arms at Gettysburg and after.
                                Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
                                X