• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireman, USA, 1850's

not military but interesting photo

[I][SIZE="2"]Igor Karpov[/SIZE][/I]

From Moscow with love! :beer_yum:

Re: Fireman, USA, 1850's

Very cool, I never saw somthing like this before. Is there anymore information him? Any idia which fire company he belonged to?
    Steven Flibotte
    Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
    Confederate Marines Company C./Marine Guard USS Galena
    Tidewater Maritime Living History Association

Comment

Idea? Haven't any :(
      I have another photo of USA pre-war firemen and some 1850-1860 pictures of them but I really can't understand the inscription on the helmets

Comment

Another one:

Comment

This one was on the ha.com site for the Kurtz auction. Some good info on one of the earliest paid departments (Baltimore City) can be found here:

Scroll down to the early history of the department.
          Attached Files
          Jason Wright
          Baltimore, Maryland

Comment

I have seen the first two pictures before. I have several soft copies of images when I get home I will add them to the thread. One of them is a black fireman near Gettysburg.
            Thanks
            Daniel MacInnis
            Adair Guards
            Commonwealth Grays
            [URL="http://www.westernindependentgrays.org"]WIG[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.westernfederalblues.org"]Western Federal Blues[/URL]

Comment

Thanks for the pics. I have been researching the post war careers of some NY Fireman, sadly I have found 14 who were killed on the job.

One, Jacob Steiger survived his service with the 8th NY Infantry only to burn to death on Sept 6, 1872.

Just another note, we often see referencing in our hobby to Fireman shirts, they knew them as Sailor shirts.
              Thaddaeus Dolzall
              Liberty Hall Volunteers

We began to think that Ritchie Green did a very smart thing, when we left Richmond, to carry nothing in his knapsack but one paper collar and a plug of tobacco!

Comment

This is obviously a bit post-war, but interesting.

Information from www.1stminnesota.net

Adam Marty, 1st Minnesota Infantry. It appears he was wounded in the charge. He then went on to form the Stillwater, MN FD.
                Attached Files
                Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
                49th Ohio
                Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"The moralities of this company are not as good as they used to be, there is much swearing and abuse." Francis Kiene 49th OVI

Comment

Just to add to the topic, here is a page dedicated to the History of the Charleston, SC Fire Department, including details on apparatus, station locations, and sources. I have an 1858 image of two hose company Lieutenants from Charleston that i'll try and dig up and post. Here's the link:

http://www.legeros.com/history/charleston/

Nick Miller
                  Former Asst. Engineer-EMT
                  Engine Co. 4
                  St. Andrews Fire Department
                  Charleston, South Carolina
                  [B][SIZE="3"]N.E. Miller[/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="2"][B][CENTER][I]"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts"
                  -Marcus Tullius Cicero[/I][/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Here's the pic of the three Fireman from the Charleston, SC Fire Department. Sorry, I do not have their names, I'm still researching more info. The image is circa 1859.

[SIZE="2"][B][CENTER][I]"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts"

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                      Here's the pic of the three Fireman from the Charleston, SC Fire Department. Sorry, I do not have their names, I'm still researching more info. The image is circa 1859.
                      That's a great image! it looks like they have swords, wonder what they would use them for? Strictly dress parades i would imagine.
                      Rick Spencer
                      19th U.S. infantry, The Rock Of Chickamauga!
                      Ohio Valley Civil War Assoc.
                      66th ill. Birge's Western Sharpshooters
                      [url]www.ovcwa.com[/url]

Comment

Yes, some companies did carry swords as a decoration, or for dress occasions. The most important thing to note is that the lieutenant on the left has a "J-Key" attached to the right side of his belt. Ordinary fireman, usually the fastest, carried a "J-Key". Some of the beds made during the 19th century and early 20th century, in larger cities, were extravagant and required assembly once moved into the room of choice. The corner posts of the bed were locked in place by using a "J-Key" once assembled. After the occupants escaped the home, or were evacuated/rescued, the engine or steamer companies would then locate the fire and extinguish the flames, while other companies would try and save the most expensive items from the home, such as the bed and other articles. We call this the "Salvage" method in the fire service today. Since only the fastest Fireman could dissassemble the beds using the J-Key, the were also one of the most respected in the community and among thier peers. The term used to identify a good fireman today is the nickname "JAKE", which derived its name from the fireman that used the "JKEY". This term is still used by departments in New England, especially Boston & Philadelphia.

Comment

Being a member of the International Association of Crusty Old Jakes I'll provide the official "guess".

The term "Jake" is most probably derived from the term "J-Key". The first street-corner fire alarm box system was invented and constructed in the city of Boston, and was based on a telegraph system, novel in its day. Inside each box, next to the automatic alarm mechanism that tripped when someone pulled the hook, there was a small telegraph tapper, called a telegraph key, that firemen could use to communicate back to headquarters once they arrived on scene. As time passed, many World War One veterans had become Boston firefighters, and the telegraphs that these men were familiar with were the U.S. Army issue J-3 portable telegraph key (known as the WWI "trench key"), as well as other military J-Series telegraph keys, which were all known commonly as "J-Keys". These veterans probably used this as a common slang for the keys they used inside their fire alarm boxes.
                          Thaddaeus Dolzall
                          Liberty Hall Volunteers

We began to think that Ritchie Green did a very smart thing, when we left Richmond, to carry nothing in his knapsack but one paper collar and a plug of tobacco!

Comment

Photo of a bed wrench or bed key. From http://www.davistownmuseum.org/

I believe I have some more info on the term "Jake" at work. Once I find it I will post it here.
                            Attached Files
                            Jason Wright
                            Baltimore, Maryland

Comment

I believe this one has been on here before. Member of the Vigilant Fire Company in Baltimore, Maryland. In the high res. version of this you can make out a wrench of some sort tucked into his belt.

"In 1804, the “Vigilant Fire Company" was organized with quarters on Granby St. near Duke St. In 1848, they removed to a new engine house on Lombard St., near High St., that would later serve the paid department as Engine House No.3."

Jason Wright
                              Baltimore, Maryland
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by jasonw; 12-15-2008, 12:18 PM. Reason: addition!
                              Jason Wright
                              Baltimore, Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X