Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Excellent (Unpublished??) Stereo Views!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excellent (Unpublished??) Stereo Views!!!

I was digging around in some files of mine stored on my brother's computer and found these in a folder labelled "Stereos." I don't recall ever seeing these published anywhere...perhaps I'm wrong though. If anyone has seen these before in any publication, sale, auction, archive, etc. please don't hesitate to post where!

Enjoy!
    Brian White
    [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
    [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
    [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Re: Excellent (Unpublished??) Stereo Views!!!

Some great images, Brian!

The "PicketPost" image is particularly drawing to me.

Comment

Originally posted by GreencoatCross View Post
      I was digging around in some files of mine stored on my brother's computer and found these in a folder labelled "Stereos." I don't recall ever seeing these published anywhere...perhaps I'm wrong though. If anyone has seen these before in any publication, sale, auction, archive, etc. please don't hesitate to post where!

Enjoy!

Very nice. The Antietam images have long been known and are discussed, and analyzed, at length in William Frassanito's book about images made there in the wake of the battle.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Hey Brian,

The Picket Post one is of the 4th Michigan Co D. According to 4thmichigan.com it is from the George Wilkinson Collection. The site says the picture can not be reproduced without his permission. Looks like he doesn't have the only copy:)
        Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
        Civil War Digital Digest
        Sally Port Mess

Comment

The 134th IL images are courtesy of Jeffrey Kraus Antique Photographica at

Regards,
          Mark Susnis

CW626. 40 RARE CIVIL WAR IMAGES BY CARBUTT on CD. This CD presents a group of 40 full-size Stereoviews in jpg format. It also includes an enlargement of one side of each view as well as one duplicate of one of the views that has a caption. So there are 40 full size stereo images and 41 enlargements of one side of the image. The 40 rare images on this CD are from Col. John C. Bigelow's Civil War Stereoview Collection. The images are by John Carbutt of Chicago. Most of the views have tax stamps on versos, cancelled by Carbutt. All of the views show the 134th Ill. Volunteer Infantry at Columbus, Kentucky in 1864. Colonel John C. Bigelow was Lieutenant Colonel commanding the 134th Illinois Infantry. He was also a Captain in the Zouaves earlier in the Civil War. The 134th was organized at Camp Fry, Ill., and mustered in for 100 days May 31, 1864. Moved to Columbus, Ky., June 6-8. Attached to District of Columbus, Ky. and Garrison duty at Columbus till October. Mustered out October 5, 1864. Regiment lost during service 1 Officer and 20 Enlisted men by disease. $20
          Mark Susnis
          Msusnis@hotmail.com

Comment

Lookie at the size of those beems in the second photo. Wood was sure cheap then!
            Frank Perkin

Comment

Very cool photos!
              Mike Hoover

1st Tennessee Infantry Co. D

Comment

Great images. Lots of soldiers wearing cartridge boxes on waist belts instead of slings.

Mark Berrier
                North State Rifles

combinations@northstate.net
                Mark Berrier

Comment

Look at the jaunty angle of the hat on the front soldier drilling without a coat. :wink_smil Great pictures, Brian. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by pvt_jb View Post
                    Hey Brian,

The Picket Post one is of the 4th Michigan Co D. According to 4thmichigan.com it is from the George Wilkinson Collection. The site says the picture can not be reproduced without his permission. Looks like he doesn't have the only copy:)
                    Jeremy, I appreciate your reference to my site and my quote. That image is indeed the Fourth Michigan Infantry, Company D. The stereoview is from the "War Views-Army of the Potomac" series by E. and H.T. Anthony & Co. It is entitiled "Picket Guard on the Alert" for those who wish to know. But Jeremy, I don't believe that it was ever stated that I had the "only copy" :) I simply requested that visitors to the site use the proper protocol ("asking permission before copying" and then "crediting the source") when taking images from my site for their own personal use. That is a common courtesy extended to those kind enough to have submitted images of fairly valuable items from their collections for posting on my website. As an example, the stereoview that you are referring to sells anywhere from $125 to $325, when and if found, depending on it's condition. So some people get upset when "free" copies are made of items that they have paid a premium to own. I hope this clarifies any misunderstandings that some may have regarding the permission request.
                    Anyway......though it is identical, the image that is currently posted here was not taken from the 4thmichigan.com web-site.This particular copy was evidently taken from someone else's stereoview.
                    By the way, there is another stereoview on my website of the Fourth Michigan Infantry at Fort Woodbury (named after their colonel) which was taken in the late summer of 1861. But please let me know if you wish to copy it.

Kind Regards,
                    George Wilkinson
                    Collector and Historian of the Fourth Michigan Infantry

Comment

The image "SoldiersDrillingWithoutCoats.jpg" strikes me as very interesting. The fellow on the end of the front rank, almost smiling at the camera, looks distinctly like an officer to me. Either its the harsh light, or his trousers looked piped. His hat insignia looks like it may be an officer's pattern infantry horn. In fact a number of those other fellows don't look like the regular rank and file to me either. Lots of vests, more trousers that look piped and some fairly elegant facial hair on a few.

To be allowed to drill in their shirtsleeves, yet still be noteworthy enough to warrant an image being taken, the field officer casually observing the opened ranks...my first thought was this could be an image of a regiment's junior officers being exercised in the School of the Company...much to the amusement of the enlisted men watching.

Either way, some great images.

Paul McKee
                      Last edited by CompanyWag; 03-03-2009, 08:05 PM.
                      Paul McKee

Comment

Originally posted by markj View Post
                        Very nice. The Antietam images have long been known and are discussed, and analyzed, at length in William Frassanito's book about images made there in the wake of the battle.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                        Mark - did I read something a few years ago where Frassanito or someone else updated the info on the dead of the Irish brigade photo...or actually found the location? The location of this photo was never determined due to the poor/cropped background.
                        Soli Deo Gloria
                        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

The 134th Illinois photo was published in Bob Zeller's The Blue and Gray in Black and White: A History of Civil War Photography (Westport, Conn.: Praeger Publishers, 2005). As already mentioned, the image was taken during the summer of 1864, outside Columbus, Kentucky, and the photographer was John Carbutt.

Eric
                          Eric J. Mink
                          Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                          Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Heavy Marching Order Drill is cool......Rally Fours (where's the bugler!?) guard against cavalry formation for the skirmishers....
                            RJ Samp
                            (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
                            Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Check out the guy on the left of picket post has an 1855 Harpers Ferry Rifle.
                              8th GA
                              Zachary Werner

Comment

Working...
                              X