Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5th Kentucky Infantry US

All,
    I am looking for images of the 5th KY US or the Louisville Legion. Please let me know if you have or know of any images.
    Thanks,
    Chad Greene
    Chad Greene

Re: 5th Kentucky Infantry US

chad i dont know where exactly to find those images... but i would like to see some images of the louisville legion! very cool. ill have to do some research see what i can dig up.
    [FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=4][B]David Wellerding[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [B][FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=4]Mess No. 1 [/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[URL="http://www.mess1.homestead.com"]www.mess1.homestead.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.6thohio.homestead.com"]www.6thohio.homestead.com[/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[B][FONT=Arial]"Grant stood by me when I was crazy and I stood by him when he was drunk. Now we stand by each other."[/FONT][/B]

[B][FONT=Arial]-William Tecumseh Sherman[/FONT][/B]

Comment

Check with the Filson Club in Louisville, they have a lot of stuff in there collection that you don't normally see... It can be costly though. I know they have a few officers diary's as well that have not been published.
      Jordan Ricketts

Comment

The 5th Kentucky Infantry, "Louisville Legion" (or Rousseau's Silver Creek Ragamuffins) was the home impression of Thomas' Mudsills. Ever since the early 80's my pards and I kept an eye out for any original images of the 5th, but to no avail. Scott Cross had done considerable research on the 5th for a planned regimental history, including trips to the Filson Club but never found a wartime image. Should any turn up at this late date, I'd certainly be interested in seeing them!

Paul McKee
        formerly Capt. Co. B, 5th Kentucky Infantry
        Paul McKee

Comment

If my memory serves me right here, I think I saw an image of the 5th at the Kentucky Historical Society in Frankfort the last time I was there in the later part of last year. You maybe able to see if it is online in their digital collections.
          Micah Trent
          Tar Water Mess/Mess No. 1
          Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Comment

This is some of Joe Reinhart stuff...
            Jordan Ricketts

Comment

Thanks for the link, Jordan.

Most are the usual cast of post-war images of old men...except for that hard image of Capt. August Schweitzer, Co. E. Very cool image. Looks like he really spent some bucks on that full-dress hat, sash and leather gauntlets. I notice, unfortunately, the ID is somewhat tentative.

There is a neat tombstone at Cave Hill Cemetary in Louisville...a wartime grave of a member of the Legion, the tombstone carved all in German. It is not far from Rousseau's own grave, if I recall correctly.

Paul McKee
              Last edited by CompanyWag; 02-28-2009, 12:14 PM.
              Paul McKee

Comment

Originally posted by JordanRicketts View Post
                http://www.geocities.com/ky5thinfantry/photos.html

This is some of Joe Reinhart stuff...
                Joe Reinhart and I both started books on the history of the 5th Kentucky and both of us abandoned them, due to a lack of good primary sources. We have scoured every museum, archive, and private collection we could get access to with Joe finding only the one officer image. I have searched for 25 years without success. Neither the Filson Club or Frankfort have images. The only image I could find is a pen & ink sketch by an Ohio soldier in Willich's Brigade. The image was made in late 1861 or very early 1862. The artist's album has been in this soldier's family for generations and it resides in Oshkosh, WI, WHERE I WORK! I have a color transparency of it burried in my research at home and will see if I can't find it.

Frankfort does have one company clothing book, but it lists total charges for clothing and not the actual items drawn...no help there.
                Scott Cross
                "Old and in the Way"

Comment

5th Kentucky Infantry US/Louisville Legion

As promised, here is the sketch of a "member of the Louisville Legion" by Adolph Metzner, 32nd Indiana Volunteer Infantry. As I also mentioned before, it was probably sketched in very late 1861 or very early 1862, prior to Shiloh. Nothing spectacular here, but quite strange: Forage cap; Fatigue Blouse; knapsack with spare shoes; some strange garment also on his knapsack; and the best part of all...a boot on his right foot and a brogan on his left foot! I understand there are more images in the sketchbook showing members of the 5th Kentucky, but I have had problems conecting with the owner, since he is a "Snow Bird" and lives in Florida also. Enjoy:

I should also mention, that I found a veteran's account from a member of the Louisville Legion/5th Kentucky Infantry, who was captured at Chicamauga, Georgia. He mentions that he was wearing a "Hat after the Pilgrim fashion", with a black feather, which certainly would suggest a M1858 Uniform Hat (aka Hardee Hat). Like most Western Regiments, the 5th Kentucky had adopted the black hat by the fall of 1863, if not sooner.
                  Scott Cross
                  "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Scott this is very cool! thanks for sharing this info! what a neat drawing you dug up! never seen that before. too bad you couldnt have finished that book on the Louisville Legion..i would have love to read more about them!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[B][FONT=Arial]"Grant stood by me when I was crazy and I stood by him when he was drunk. Now we stand by each other."[/FONT][/B]

Comment

Re: 5th Kentucky Infantry US/Louisville Legion

Originally posted by ScottCross View Post
                      He mentions that he was wearing a "Hat after the Pilgrim fashion", with a black feather, which certainly would suggest a M1858 Uniform Hat (aka Hardee Hat).
                      Oh no!...Not the ill-fated feathered hat reference! Remember how we feared that quote would provide justification for folks wearing all sorts of plummage if not full-dress hats for mid and later war western-theater events? I guess that issue is moot now.

Scott, on the pencil rendering, is that insignia shown on the front of his forage cap? Is it legible?

Paul McKee
                      Paul McKee

Comment

that almost looks like the insignia of a engineer in that drawing... i cant really make it out though. very cool picture.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

What a FARB! He has two brass letters on the front, "L L" for Louisville Legion!

Scott Cross
                          "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Omigosh...I can see it now, L L brass and black feathers abounding. And is that a single rabbit ear on his forage cap? Remember that idiodic discussion about issue vs contract rabbit ears during the Reagan Inaugural Non-Parade? ("We Froze While Reagan Dozed")

Paul McKee
                            Paul McKee

Comment

Originally posted by CompanyWag View Post
                              Omigosh...I can see it now, L L brass and black feathers abounding. And is that a single rabbit ear on his forage cap? Remember that idiodic discussion about issue vs contract rabbit ears during the Reagan Inaugural Non-Parade? ("We Froze While Reagan Dozed")

Paul McKee
                              In my expert opinion (and I have many of them) this is a pair of contrat rabbit ears, procured by the State of Kentucky from the well-known Frankfort firm of "Hardley Abel Mfg. Company". These rabbit ears that the state purchased did not conform to the quartermaster specifications and resembled more closely mule ears, as seen in this sketch. They were also notorious for having one ear fall off after the first exposure to rain. This was due to the shoddy materials used in manufacturing. These should not be confused by the rabbit ears procured from the Louisville firm of "Gambol, Waite & Hope Co.", who did receive a contract, but did not deliver them until the war was almost over.
                              Scott Cross
                              "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Working...
                              X