Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1848 Daguerreotype of Manhattan

1848 Daguerreotype of Manhattan sells for $62,500:

One of the earliest photographs in existence sold for $62,500 at Sotheby's auction house in New York.
    Jim Page

"Boys, Follow Me!"--Colonel William Bowen Campbell
    1st Regiment of Tennesse Volunteers (1846-1847)

"Weeping in solitude for the fallen brave is better than the presence of men too timid to strike for their country"--Motto embroidered on the flag of the 1st Regiment of Tennessee Volunteers and presented by the Nashville Female Academy (June, 1846).

Re: 1848 Daguerreotype of Manhattan

Is that a prostitiute on that hill doing a song and dance number?Wow!Even in 1848,they had them all over the place.
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

You know it's not really an impressive photograph in terms of composition, to me anyway. I guess given that it's an outdoor photo and that it's an early one at that makes it so valuable. ~Gary
      Gary Dombrowski
      [url]http://garyhistart.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

It would be to bad to find out that you paid $62k for a picture of a house in the country.. I haven't seen anything that actually proves that its Manhattan ..:)
        thanks

Will Coffey

Why did not the Southern States wait and see whether A. Lincoln would interfere with slavery before they seceded." A federal Soldier's words left in a court clerk's office in Bennetsville, SC

Comment

From the Sotheby's auction listing:

The date and location of the daguerreotype have been taken from a manuscript note, signed 'L. B.,' which was folded and placed behind the daguerreotype plate in its original leather case. Written in a neat, cursive hand, in dark ink on pale blue paper, the note reads as follows:

'This view, was taken at too great a distance, & from ground 60 or 70 feet lower than the building; rendering the lower Story of the House, & the front Portico entirely invisible. (the handsomest part of the House.) The main road, passes between the two Post & rail fences. (called, a continuation of Broadway 60 feet wide.) It requires a maganifying [sic] glass, to clearly distinguish the Evergreens, within the circular enclosure, taken the last of October, when nearly half of the leaves were off the trees.

'May 1849. L. B.'
          Brian Koenig
          SGLHA
          Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Working...
          X