X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union commissary sgt on eBay

:sarcastic
    John Pillers
    Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Re: Union commissary sgt on eBay

Hallo!

Is he?

Are those stripes flat or arched?

;) :)

???

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I don't know about you, but they look arched to me, not a real high arch, but there looks like there is somewhat of one.

Anyone notice his trousers, looks like Corduroy to me. This is a great photo in my humble opinion.
      Attached Files
      Aka
      Wm Green :D
      Illegitimi non carborundum
      (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
      Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

Yes sir, looks to be wearing Regimental QM sergeants stripes. The Sergeant also looks to be wearing a pair of corduroy trousers.
        Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
        Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
        Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
        www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

No to me in looking at both arms, there seems to be a slight arch. Especially if you look at the right arm.. I do love those trouser though.
          Aka
          Wm Green :D
          Illegitimi non carborundum
          (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
          Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

Hallo!

I see a slight arch, myself.

But also wonder if it is how they were sewn on and the skill of the sewer...

I love images!

If we knew his name and unit we could NARA his records and maybe confirm or deny one or the other.

;) :)

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

His coat/jacket is interesting to me. hard to tell if it is a private purchase sack coat or a jacket. the welted pocket is interesting as well as the folded down collar.
              Bryant Roberts
              Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
              palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

I don't believe there is an arch other that the visual illusion caused by the curve of the arm- look at the inner triangle on the right sleeve- it seems to be unform and even in shape.
                Looking at the far arm note the junction of the top bar and the top Vee seen strait on- they appear to meet at a right angle instead of at the slight angle necessary for the bar to be an arch.
                Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaConscript View Post
                  Hard to tell if it is a private purchase sack coat or a jacket.
                  The coat looks like a private purchase item to me, Bryant.

Also, I agree that there is a definite curve to the stripes creating a slight arch.

The man in the image was certainly not ignorant to staying fashionable, even under the cloud of war.

Great image!

Comment

Sir, if I may throw in again, here is a link with a depiction of noncom insignia used during the war. It has no bearing on this discussion but here goes. http://howardlanham.tripod.com/link19.htm
                    Also, would not a Co. QM Sergeant have a single straight stripe over the chevrons.
                    My two cents and thanks for the the image.
                    Last edited by yeoman; 04-09-2009, 07:20 PM. Reason: sp
                    Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
                    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
                    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Originally posted by WoodenNutmeg View Post
                      The man in the image was certainly not ignorant to staying fashionable, even under the cloud of war.
                      Also note the vest and, what I take to be, a watch fob. Throw in the necktie and this sgt. is pretty well decked out.

FWIW, I don't perceive an arch in the "rockers". The Sgt Major stripes that I have seen had a much more pronounced arch to them.

Ditto in thanking you for posting this. Viewing it on my new cyber-exploration device convinces me that the investment was worthwhile.
                      [I][/I]Die Gedanken sind frei
                      John Thielmann[I][/I]

Comment

Bryan,
                        I'm leaning more toward the private purchase as well the more I look at it. I'm not as well versed in Fed stuff as I am johnny, but how common was it to find welt pockets on fed stuff? (outside of state issue jackets)??
                        Bryant Roberts
                        Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                        palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Can't get over those trowsers... sure looks like corduroy to me....
                          General Buford had a pair if I recall. As did General Sherman when he took command of the 13th US back in May of '61.
                          [FONT="Times New Roman"]
                          [I]" Stand firm and fire low!"...[B]Colonel Edward Cross 5th NHV[/B][/I]

Dean Cass
                          106th Reg't PVI
                          Co. G
                          Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                          X