Zouave Ambulance Photograph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zouave Ambulance Photograph

I found a number of interesting details in this photograph of zouaves demonstrating the loading of soldiers onto an ambulance:

CALL NUMBER
    LC-B817- 7636

REPRODUCTION NUMBER
    LC-DIG-cwpb-04095 DLC (digital file from original neg.)
    LC-B8171-7636 DLC (b&w film copy neg.)

Items of Note:
    - The hooded cape on the officer at left of the ambulance. Looks like he is also wearing a private purchase sack coat, sash (OOD?), and an oil cloth covered kepi.
    - The buttons on the trouser cuff of the man being loaded into the ambulance.
    - The nice leather upholstery on the ambulance!

Here is A companion photo: http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...p/~ammem_zZ4T:
    CALL NUMBER
    LC-B817- 7285

REPRODUCTION NUMBER
    LC-DIG-cwpb-03950 DLC (digital file from original neg.)
    LC-B8171-7285 DLC (b&w film neg.)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 07-14-2009, 05:49 AM.
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Re: Zouave Ambulance Photograph

John,

Ah, the old familiarities with this photograph. I colorized the entire thing years ago and remember seeing all of the same little details!
    Brian White
    [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
    [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
    [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

fellow being loaded has heel rims too.
      Bryant Roberts
      Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
      palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaConscript View Post
        fellow being loaded has heel rims too.
        ...and half double soles, too!
        John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Those buttons are found on the inside cuff on pairs of mounted pattern trousers. They're meant for buttoning leather stirrup straps to keep the wearers pants down over their boot and under the heel.

In fact, you can just see the top of the reinforcement piece sewn onto the pants on the wearer's left leg.

This photo does bring back good memories. I remember this being amongst those I first started studying in detail when the Selected Photographs LOC site was up and running. Probably around 1994. All of the 114th PA company and band photographs are so great.

Comment

Originally posted by CJSchumacher View Post
            Those buttons are found on the inside cuff on pairs of mounted pattern trousers. They're meant for buttoning leather stirrup straps to keep the wearers pants down over their boot and under the heel.

In fact, you can just see the top of the reinforcement piece sewn onto the pants on the wearer's left leg.

This photo does bring back good memories. I remember this being amongst those I first started studying in detail when the Selected Photographs LOC site was up and running. Probably around 1994. All of the 114th PA company and band photographs are so great.
            Thanks for the info!!

So, are these boys from the 114th PA for sure?
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger

Comment

For sure they are the 114th PA. Their uniform is quite distinctive including the sky blue cuffs..
              Bob Williams
              26th North Carolina Troops
              Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Good eye, Bob... Thanks!

Took a look at the companion photo to this one and you can see some other good details.
                - In period photographs, the zouaves' red trousers appear darker than their dark blue coats.
                - The "patient" in the ambulance is wearing a corduroy vest.
                - The officer in the hooded cape is wearing a pinky rink and his foot officers' sword is in a metal scabbard. His boots look like a couple of stove pipes!!
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Working...
                X