Late war shelter tents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late war shelter tents

1864. "Fort Burnham, Virginia, formerly Confederate Fort Harrison, near James River. Encampment and earthworks." Wet plate glass negative.

Love all the covered ends.
    Frank Perkin

Re: Late war shelter tents

What a great pic of garrison troops, equipment and fort furnishings. Any body know when in '64 this was taken? Note the lone Pioneer and the 3 shovels if not more. And a Corps badge. Soldier on far left has modified his sack by adding 3 more buttons for a total of 7 buttons..........count'em yourself if ya' don't believe me!

The tents are are the roofs of typical winter huts. Note the chimneys up hill and men standing below the roof line in the front of the huts. The huts are dug into hillside or down slope of a burm or bombproof inside the fort. Also note at the impromptou clothes line.

There appears to be a Great coat laying over the log walls at the head of the street. and blankets and other articles laid over roof ridges. There is 1 stack of arms and accoutriments also visible.

Construction seems to be the task for the day. Several buildings can be seen as "works in progress". On the back of the berm are several wall tent frames that are not covered yet for officers or F&S.
    Last edited by Prodical Reb; 09-04-2009, 09:52 PM.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
    Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
    Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
    The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

The caption of the photo says it is former Fort Harrison meaning it has to be sometime between October and December of '64. Fort Harrison was captured in late September of '64. Hope that helps some.
      Sam Harrelson
      Liberty Rifles
      Independent Volunteers
      Museum of the Confederacy

Comment

...and, inspite of the every-other-day eastern army directives for EMs to wear only the forage cap, a majority of these old soldiers persist in wearing slouches.
        Last edited by David Fox; 09-05-2009, 02:38 PM.
        David Fox

Comment

Lots of blankets being aired out. Wonder if the number of slouch hats might be because this is a Western unit. Guy in the center with forage cap and perhaps a corps badge - is he wearing a frock coat? I can't really tell.

Still lots of leaves on the trees - look like evergreens mostly in the middle foreground but there are some deciduous ones showing up too plus in the far background there's a pretty solid treeline and treetops that are decidedly not evergreen. So, maybe a spring photo in '65 even though it's labeled '64. Guess it could be early autumn?
          Michael Comer
          one of the moderator guys

Comment

It is really cool finding a fort harrison picture. I have not seen many images of it and I ride my moped through that chain of forts all the time. Just went out there the other night and watched the meteor shower. It is a pretty neat area.
            Last edited by sam H; 09-05-2009, 08:12 PM.
            Sam Harrelson
            Liberty Rifles
            Independent Volunteers
            Museum of the Confederacy

Comment

Anybody else notice the length of the tents/huts?..........some are a tent and 1/4 deep and some are a tent and a half deep.
              [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
              Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
              The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

The man standing on the far left is wearing a jacket I have never seen before. Almost like a shortened Frock.
                Frank Perkin

Comment

Originally posted by Prodical Reb View Post
                  .......... Soldier on far left has modified his sack by adding 3 more buttons for a total of 7 buttons..........count'em yourself if ya' don't believe me!........
                  I'm pretty sure I said it the 1st time around. It is a sack coat whose owner added 3 buttons between the normal 4 buttons. This is mostly under represented in the field today!
                  Last edited by Prodical Reb; 09-06-2009, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Lots of blankets being aired out. Wonder if the number of slouch hats might be because this is a Western unit. Guy in the center with forage cap and perhaps a corps badge - is he wearing a frock coat? I can't really tell.

Still lots of leaves on the trees - look like evergreens mostly in the middle foreground but there are some deciduous ones showing up too plus in the far background there's a pretty solid treeline and treetops that are decidedly not evergreen. So, maybe a spring photo in '65 even though it's labeled '64. Guess it could be early autumn?

The guy on the far right is wearing an 18th Corps badge on his sack coat. The white troops of the 10th and 18th Corps were merged in Dec. of 1864 to form the 24th Corps, while the black troops were formed into the 25th Corps. So I would date this photo to the fall of 1864. As for the slouch hats, I don't recall there being very many western troops in the 18th Corps, maybe one or two regiments. The bulk of the soldiers were from New York and New England.

Will MacDonald

Comment

This view looks toward the Confederate lines that were built as part of a retrenchment to seal off the rupture caused by the capture of Ft. Harrison. You can see the new CS line in the far distance. If you look closely, in between the lines in the middle distance you can see the manned horseshoe shaped Federal picket posts spaced about 20 yards apart. This and other views of the Ft. Burnham (Harrison) are quite interesting to study when downloaded in their TIFF versions on the LOC site.
                      Bob Williams
                      26th North Carolina Troops
                      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Attached is an old NPS map of the fort. I have noted the position of the camera angle (arrow) for those interested.
                        Bob Williams

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Bob,
                          I hadn't noticed this before; in the distance is that a confederate fort with 2 men standing on top of it?

Comment

Yes, that's a fort. You can see the abatis in front but I am not sure if they are men or stumps on the parapet. I've wondered too. Here's a closer view from another photo that shows the fort and Federal picket posts to better effect.
                            Bob Williams

Comment

Working...
                            X