Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23,000 MOLLUS-MASS Images Now Online!

Folks,
    It is with great pleasure that I bring to your attention the newly digitized collection of Mollus images from the Massachusetts Commandery collection held at the US Army Heritage and Education Center. I'm sure most of you know of our vast Civil War photo collection, and this portion of it comprises of over 23,000 photos from 117 volumes. The digitization project took two years to complete. And as a result, all images from this collection are now available through our website.

Each image is in a high quality PDF format which you can download at no cost. I believe however that if you try to print an image you will get a watermark. You can browse and search for specific topics within the database. While the research possibilities are virtually endless, if you're interested in using any of these for a publication and need a non-watermarked copy, please contact MHI and the patron services division at http://www.usahec.org , Phone: 717-245-3971.

This project was a vast undertaking from our archives department, and I'm happy to be able to forward this information along. If anyone has any questions regarding this collection, please feel free to contact me and I'll try to get you in contact with the appropriate person on our staff.

The website's address is below. And the link should be in the lower right corner:

Regards,

Kaleb Dissinger
    US Army Heritage Museum
    USAHEC

Re: 23,000 MOLLUS-MASS Images Now Online!

Awesome! Thank you for sharing this info.
    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Jeehozafat, thanks! Now I have found something to consume my life for the next 4 weeks. There are some amazing photos in here of post-battle battlefields with interesting human specimens that I have never seen anywhere else before, this is a real treat!
      Last edited by prestontoprail; 11-12-2009, 01:05 PM.
      Preston Todd
      Hard Case Boys
      Top Rail Mess

Comment

Here's a quick one to make you fellas obsessed with English accoutraments drool!

Just rotate it counter-clockwise and magnify it to about 200%.

Preston Todd
        Hard Case Boys
        Top Rail Mess

Comment

Sir, such a wonderful collection of images, wonderful. I've visited the USAHEC site before and found it top notch...now this is cutting edge.
          Thanks for your work and this link.
          Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
          Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
          Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
          www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on reproducing these images? There's some incredible stuff here that would be fun to share and discuss.
            Brendan Hamilton
            Jerusalem Plank Road

Comment

Brendan,
              I can't speak for certainty on this topic as I don't work in the archives, but I believe since they're in the public domain, you're more than welcome to download and share at your discretion. If you try to print them however, you'll get a watermark. If you want a high-end reproduction for publishing purposes, there is a fee for service per image that MHI charges. When I'm back in the office next week, I'll see if I can run that down w/ certainty and let you know. There is contact and copyright/reproducing info on the website too.

Regards,

Kaleb Dissinger
              Army Heritage Museum

Comment

Kaleb, thanks for the link. Good thing I have some time off coming up so I can digest all this.
                Tom Backus
                Brown Bottle Mess
                Co. H 3rd Arkansas

Comment

Great link... THANKS.. I have been looking for one of those images, and bang there it was... Thanks again.. GO ARMY!
                  Robert W. Hughes
                  Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
                  Thrasher Mess
                  Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
                  ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
                  Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
                  And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

Great site, thanks for posting it !
                    I just had to laugh though, the very first picture looks like it was taken on the sutler row of your typical large reenactment...
                    thanks

Will Coffey

Why did not the Southern States wait and see whether A. Lincoln would interfere with slavery before they seceded." A federal Soldier's words left in a court clerk's office in Bennetsville, SC

Comment

They seem to be all PDFs Is there a way to save these?? Also, would we need the museums approval to post it on a website?? not sure how that works..
                      Robert W. Hughes
                      Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
                      Thrasher Mess
                      Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
                      ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
                      Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
                      And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

Working...
                      X