Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for Images

Gents,

I've been searching for a number of period images and was hoping that one of y'all might be able to help. I'm looking for a few drawings done by Confederates on campaign. There is one where it is a Confederate artillery camp in a bit of woods, biv-waking and cooking. The other is the one of the Confederates fording the Potomac where with their trousers over their shoulders. There are a number of other illustrations of camping scenes and troops on the march that come to mind that I'd like to see if anyone else can help with. They might have been by the same fellow or a series of such. In the vain of the Foot Cavalry image below. Again these are all drawings that were done either during or just after the war. Sorry if these are too vague. Thanks for you help.

Regards,
    Dan GidickClick image for larger version

Name:	foot cav.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	228582
    Last edited by Charlestonian; 12-08-2009, 08:07 PM.

Re: Searching for Images

Dan,

This illustration was done long after the war, and not by a veteran. You can find these types of illustrations in many post war publications of soldier's accounts and rememberances. I recommend you visit your local library. You will find them there.
    Scott Cross
    "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Mr. Cross,

You are correct that the image was drawn post-war, but the individual who drew was most definitely a veteran.

If you look in the bottom right-hand corner you will see an "A.C.R." which stands for
      Allen C. Redwood. He started off as a member of the 55th Virginia. He did a whole series of post-war images.

Cheers,
      Joseph Caridi
      Washington's Guard/Potomac Legion

Comment

Hi Folks,

Along with A.C. Redwood, Confederate veteran William L. Sheppard did a number of illustrations of C.S. troops in camp and in the field. What's interesting to me is that both artist's illustrations tend to confirm much of the modern day research as to how the rebs looked on campaign. For example, Redwood and Sheppard were both A.N.V. vets and both show alot of "Richmond Depot" jackets in their illustrations, shoulder straps and belt loops etc. Conrad Wise Chapman also did a number of paintings and drawings of Confederate troops in the defenses of Charleston. Hope this helps.

Larry Shields

Comment

The two Redwood drawings you're seeking, although in small scale are at:

For others, just Google "Allen C. Redwood" for "Images."

Cheers,

Bob McDonald
          Bob McDonald

Comment

These images were published in a four volume work by Century entitled Battles and Leaders of the Civil War. This work should be available in larger libraries, or used on-line, and well worth having for first person accounts.
            S.Sullivan

Comment

You could look for drawings by the Confederate artist Conrad Wise Chapman- he was active in the field and wounded at Shiloh-Likewise works by John Adalbert Volck and the British artist Frank Vizetelly
              Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Gents,

Thanks for the posts. I've seen the images in many a publication but just wanted to see if any one had some digital ones and background on them. The Gettysburg web page was a nice help. Anyone know of the one with the Confederate Artillery camp in the tree line though? Its similar to post war ones we discussed on the thread. Thanks again for your time.

Does any one have an online source to the illustrations of William L. Sheppard and A.C. Redwood? Or the Battles and Leaders images or Century Magazine for that matter. Those are the ones I'm looking for come to think of it.

Conrad Wise Chapman is a great source and artist. Being from Charleston, I've seen a number of his images, including a great one of Fort Moultrie in the Gibbs Museum of Art. Worth a visit if your in town. I've also got a nice book about his art work.

Thanks again!
                Regards,
                Dan Gidick
                Last edited by Charlestonian; 12-11-2009, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlestonian
                  Does any one have an online source to the illustrations of William L. Sheppard and A.C. Redwood? Or the Battles and Leaders images or Century Magazine for that matter. Those are the ones I'm looking for come to think of it.

Dan Gidick
                  I used the below picture for the online flyer about the march I organized for Chris Anders' event at Gettysburg last year :

Said drawing is from the section about Lee's Invasion of Pennsylvania as embellished by Longstreet. (I'm not a big fan of Longstreet.) My recollection is that I pulled the drawing from the online version of vol. 3 of Battles and Leaders at page 250. (The clarity is too good for me to have copied it from a bood and scanned it.) Said volume is on my links page of http://www.zipcon.net/~silas/links.htm#N_8_ I'd provide the direct link to the volume, but you'll want to view the other volumes, too. So there you go.

Here's another oft used marcher from Battles and Leaders that I used in the flyer :

Many great books at google and archive.org just waiting to be rediscovered.
                  Silas Tackitt,
                  one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Here are two pieces for you..

Here is another drawing from Allen C. Redwood....Also below the picture is an excerpt From Source: "The Photographic History of the Civil War" Volume IV It is titled Confederates in the Field. A very good read with some great insight into the Soldiers life. Hope this helps.

__________________________________________________ _______________
                    Officers & Enlisted Men
                    Conrad Wise Chapman "Talented Confederate Artist" February 14, 1842 - December 10, 1910

Conrad Wise Chapman was born in Washington, DC, in 1843, the son of John Gadsby Chapman, an accomplished artist from Virginia. When Conrad was six, the family moved to Rome, Italy, where the boy eventually became an artist under his father's tutelage. Virginia-born John Chapman had instilled in his son such a great love of Virginia that Conrad returned to enlist in his father's home state when the Civil War began. Unable to reach Virginia, however, he enlisted in company D, 3rd Kentucky as a private on September 30, 1861.

Chapman proved to be a much better artist than soldier. In April 1862 at Shiloh, his regiment's first battle, Chapman accidentally wounded himself in the head. After recuperating he was transferred to Virginia at the request of a family friend, Ge. Henry A. Wise. There the likeably eccentric Chapman served as an ordnance sergeant.

When Chapman's regiment was transferred to Charleston, SC, defenses, Wise convinced Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard to detail the young artist to document in paintings the siege and the Confederacy's gallant efforts. Chapman bravely ignored shells exploding around him as he sketched the bombardment of Charleston's fortifications.

In the spring of 1864 Chapman returned to Rome on furlough to be with his sick mother. While there he painted a series of canvases taken from his battle sketches that can be viewed today in the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, VA. Returning to the Confederacy just as Lee surrendered, Chapman joined a group of ex-Confederates and went to Mexico for a year.

Chapman did not achieve the commercial success his artistic talents warranted. After the war he painted in Rome, Paris, London and New York, struggling with ill health, poverty, and a three-year period of insanity. He eventually settled in Hampton, VA, and painted until his death in 1910.

Fascinating Fact: Chapman's painting of his Kentucky regiment in camp became famous in 1871 when reproduced as a chromolithograph. The original work (in which the artist portrayed himself as the bored sentry) was recently found in a shed in Oregon.

Confederate Camp Scene

Corinth, Mississippi, 1862
                    Conrad Wise Chapman

Last edited by Silas; 12-18-2009, 12:03 AM. Reason: Decreased size of overly large painting - Silas Tackitt, Moderator
                    [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                    ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                    X