Texas CS Arsenal....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas CS Arsenal....

Hey, saw this on the other Reenacting forum but it deserves some attention here. Being the CS Arsenal "junkie" that I am this is quite unique. There are very, very few war time photographs of CS arsenals, etc.
    Correct me if I am wrong here but ....."reputedly" this is of a "Texas Arsenal". It came out of an old Texas photographic collection. Anyway, I note the Longhorn steers and Spanish Moss as some evidence of its origins however, what also makes it neat are the other parts of the image- clothing, hats, the mule with harness, images of Negroes as workers, etc. Maybe someone more skilled than I can get this image digitalized.

Ken R Knopp
    Attached Files

Re: Texas CS Arsenal....

The description from the Lawrence T. Jones collection describes it as a Foundery, not an arsenal. Here's a direct link to the image and the catalog information:
    Cased image of a Confederate foundry, apparently operating with slave labor. The image shows men standing on the roof of the foundry, most of whom are wearing the leather aprons necessary for foundry work. This image is one of a series of four depicting this subject matter.

I'm not sure why they are calling it Confederate, unless because they have tentatively identified it as dating to 1864. I can see no one in uniform.
    Cased image of a Confederate foundry, apparently operating with slave labor. The image shows men standing on the roof of the foundry, most of whom are wearing the leather aprons necessary for foundry work. This image is one of a series of four depicting this subject matter.
    Scott Cross
    "Old and in the Way"

Comment

I am going to guess this could be Marshall, Texas

Joe Walker

Comment

There was a foundry in Hempstead, Texas. As Joe wrote, there was a foundry in Marshall, Texas. There was also a foundry in Oil City, Texas but it wasn't established until 1866. The presents of Spain Moss in the trees would probably mean the foundry was somewhere in East Texas.
        Last edited by Old Reb; 12-15-2009, 05:40 PM.
        Tom Yearby
        Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

This photo is magnificent and twice as magnificent by the poses of the lads on the roof, there is of humor in their pose I think.
          William Miconnet
          French Mess
          AES
          BGR & IPW Survivor
          Never ever give up!
          In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
          I believe!

Comment

The first time I was shown this image, I was also shown what was purportedly the "before" image of the groundbreaking of the site. The "before" image did indeed show men in both civilian and CS military garb, as well as some big oak trees and Spanish Moss. Apparently, that image isn't part of this collection.
            Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Larry Jones has an incredible ability to come up with absolutely unique images. Thanks for putting this up here, Ken.

Notice the steer horns tossed up on the roof. The young guy on the far right of the roof doesn't seem to have shoes on and his one pants leg is hitched way far up. Quite a rough crew.

Lon
              Charles Webster

Comment

Working...
              X