South Carolina Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Carolina Help

Finally got around to researching a picture of a soldier from my SC side of the family. His wife is holding his image in one picture and the other picture is a blow up of that image. His name was William Mcilwaine and he enlisted at Abbeville in Aug of 63 into the Holcombe Legion. Died in Hellmira prison.

This is a long shot but has anybody seen this image? It may be out there somewhere.

Any comments on the uniform?
    Attached Files
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Re: South Carolina Help

Jim,

Did he enlist in the Infantry Regiment or the Cavalry Battalion? I can't find his name on the roster. At first glance, that looks like a frock coat he has on. You might want to post that photo over on the Tramp Brigade forum, we're always looking for photo of members of the brigade, and the guys know alot more stuff than I do.....

Will MacDonald
    WIG/TBM

Comment

The reply I received from the South Carolina Archives did not state Inf. or Cav. It also stated he was captured at Jarretts Depot on May 8, 1864. Guess I should look into that battle and see if it was Inf or Cav that was there.

The site you suggested seems to be in the right direction. Sent an e-mail will see what develops.
      Thanks
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Jimmayo; 02-21-2010, 08:46 AM.
      Jim Mayo

CW Show and Tell Site

Comment

Jim- If you don't already have it, I would recommend getting the book- "The Business of Captivity", by Michael Gray. It is an excellent read about the Elmira prison camp. It beats the pants off the other book by Mike Horigan and is unlike Holmes' book which is based on veteran accounts. Gray focuses on the daily operations and logistics of how the camp was administered.
        [I][B]Terri Olszowy[/B][/I]

Comment

According to Footnote.com he was in the Infantry. He was captured and taken to Fort Monroe and transferred to Elmira. Died January 2, 1865
          Last edited by Clsinclair; 02-21-2010, 03:46 PM.
          Claude Sinclair
          Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Jim,
            It almost looks like he is wearing a pre-war or militia frockcoat with rank stripes of an NCO. Did he serve in any pre-war units?
            Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
            16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
            Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

It is possible but I have nothing to indicate he did.

His son however was a member of a post war group. The letters on the flag say Light Infantry.
              Attached Files
              Jim Mayo

CW Show and Tell Site

Comment

Working...
              X