Wisconsin coat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin coat?

Looks like one of the five button Wisconsin coats...What do you think? Notice the Lorenz

Mark Susnis
    Attached Files
    Mark Susnis
    Msusnis@hotmail.com

Re: Wisconsin coat?

Stand-up collar and three-piece buttons...sure looks like a Wisconsin blouse to me.
    Scott Cross
    "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Originally posted by ScottCross View Post
      Stand-up collar and three-piece buttons...sure looks like a Wisconsin blouse to me.

Scott,

I come to you with hat in hand and a question. There are many on these boards who know more than I do, and I've got no problem admitting that. But I have been looking at that image for close to 10 minutes and have yet to figure out how you know the buttons are three piece? mind passing on some know how?
      Bryant Roberts
      Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
      palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Susnis View Post
        Notice the Lorenz
        That doesn't look like a Lorenz. It has a Lorenz-esque cheek piece on the stock, but the counter plate for the lock screw looks very "Belgian back-action lock" to me.

If it weren't for that cheek piece, I'd guess a Belgian '42. Could it be a Saxon or some other such beast? Anyone else want to take a stab at that one?
        John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger
        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

It looks like one of these to me http://www.collegehillarsenal.com/sh...6&cat=9&page=1 .
          Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Saxon from College Hill Arsenal

Tim's web site:

featured a Saxon weapon.

Paul Hadley
            Last edited by FlatLandFed; 05-07-2010, 02:30 PM. Reason: Andrew was quicker to respond -- I couldn't get a grab of the photo to attach ...
            Paul Hadley

Comment

If you look closely at the second button, it looks to be of the "muffin" variety, possibly giving credence to it being 3 piece construction (similar to many state buttons & officer's buttons).
              Matt Lovejoy

Comment

OK... A Saxon it is!

On the coat:
                I'm not familiar with the Wisconsin coats. Were they dark blue? It appears to be made of a heavier wool. Perhaps a kersey?

Very cool pic, Mark. Thank you for sharing!
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger
                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Bryant: Ignore the WISC Vet badge in the picture. I am lazy today and didn't feel like cropping it out.

The button is three piece. Back, rim and front. The rim shows up very clearly in the picture. I haven't magnified the picture enough yet to determine if the front is a Wisc. or other three piece button but I assume others have. There are many different 3 piece buttons, NY being the most common. US staff is another. A general service eagle button is a good example of a two piece button. All it has is a front and back. The front is crimped directly on the back. The rim on a three piece button holds the front and back together.

The button was found in Fredricksburg and the pin was found at Sutherland Station.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-08-2010, 10:52 AM. Reason: give location found
                  Jim Mayo
                  Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                  http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Many thanks Jim!
                    Bryant Roberts
                    Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                    palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Jim,

Cool pic. There is a dug Wisconsin button on display at the Grenada Lake visitor center. I believe it was found somewhere around the Oxford area, which would date it to Grant's failed Dec. 1862 attempt to take Vicksburg by going along the Central Mississippi Railroad.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Rather than repeating myself, here's an older thread where we discussed the Wisconsin Fatigue Blouse, if you go through it, there are also some links to images, showing the coat.
                        Scott Cross
                        "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Working...
                        X