No announcement yet.

Worth taking a look!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Photo of CS Infantry on Campaign????

That photo says 'Federal' all over it to me.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

I agree, sack coat , issue shirt US plate on cartridge box. one man is wearing boots , not that often encountered in the southern infantry as far as I know.
      Jan H.Berger
      Hornist

German Mess
      http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

I'm just wondering what leads him to believe that these are Confederates, other than maybe the drum canteen. Is that a quilted hat on the stack?
        D.W.(Trace)Scalf
        19th Alabama Infantry(Australia)
        [url]http://www.19thal.50webs.com/[/url]

“Power corrupts. Knowledge is power. Study hard. Be evil.”

"Only the dead have seen the end of War".
        George Santayana

Comment

Nope, thats not Rebs, but it is still a very cool picture, and I yes I think thats a quilted hat. Wonder how they got the idea it was CS? Old South is generally very good with their IDs.
          Lee White
          Researcher and Historian
          "Delenda Est Carthago"
          "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hallo!

Sometimes folks see what folks want to see.

On the cynical side... Federal image: $400. Same image as Confederate: $14,000.

;) :)

IMHO, these can be complicated. As with guns alledged to be owned by famous historical people, one has a pesky and troublesome scale to weigh as it might be true.

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Hmmm. In the description he states this is CS Infantry but unless you could show that this unit just captured a federal depot/supply train and ravaged it...im with you guys. The Tin Dum canteen is interesting, we read so many accounts that you could tell a new confederate recruit becuase they didnt have a federal canteen yet, so why A federal has one/would want one I am not sure but who knows...

Also when you look at the "sack coat", worn by the guy sitting down with no hat on, the front part of the coat seems to open up and button back to the coat, like a "rev war coat"...anyone else see this? am I wrong? I might be reaching, its so hard with photos and shadows.

But Its a cool image for sure, I look forward to more info comming out on it.
              Brian William Huerta

Fighting Boys Mess

Liberty Rifles

Comment

The discussion of this photo was started in the Sinks early yesterday evening. Maybe the threads can be merged? My .02 is that it is a Federal image. federal blouse, fed trousers, fed issue shirt on one soldier, fed cartridge box, fed canteen, fed haversack, and fed type I and type II forage caps. I enclosed a larger version of the photo of the tin drum canteen? I am not so sure that is what it is. get a better look. I think he is holding his plate in front of the canteen. Also notice the leather sling?
                Last edited by PetePaolillo; 08-10-2010, 10:53 AM. Reason: added photo
                [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

To me the image screams Federal. The pants look to be the sky blue and is in the same color as those of the images that I have had done by Wendel and Robert with my federal impression. The color wheel makes everything take a shade of gray. The forage caps look to be federal issue also,as with the shirts some look to be issue too. In my Federal impression I lapel my sack coat collar down. I ends up looking much the same way as this one does in the picture. If they are on a campaign then they very well could have picked up a quilted hat. It looks to be the hot part of the year. And I am sure we know that some sort of slouch hat is cooler than a forage cap or Kepi'. These are just my thoughts.
                  Robert Melville

We as Americans finish what we start. And dying for these Colors, or our brothers around us is no different. We will always remember the ones that have passed before us. Even though their bodies are committed to the depths their spirits live with in us and helps push for tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by robert-m View Post
                    In my Federal impression I lapel my sack coat collar down.
                    This is what I first thought but, again it may be just shadow and eyes playing tricks, but dosent it look like its buttoned open? I see the shape of a button holding it open to the chest. Maybe just me and if no one else see's it I will forget it.

But even if it is, I dont know what that means becuase it still screams federal.
                    Brian William Huerta

Fighting Boys Mess

Liberty Rifles

Comment

the side that is showing is the side that the buttons them self is on. So it might be a button after all. Remember the image is reversed from what is really is. But I found it is a lot cooler to lapel it open than to have it buttoned all the way up.
                      Robert Melville

We as Americans finish what we start. And dying for these Colors, or our brothers around us is no different. We will always remember the ones that have passed before us. Even though their bodies are committed to the depths their spirits live with in us and helps push for tomorrow

Comment

To me, this photo smacks of the work of photographer G. H. Houghton of Brattleboro, VT. He took many photos of the Vermont Brigade in early '62 and '63 and there is a whole collection of his photos in "The Image of War: Vol. VI." I have seen a similar concentric ring canteen in one of his photos. The weapons. by the way, appear to be Enfields.

A sample of Houghton's work from the Vermont Historical Society is attached.
                        Bob Williams
                        26th North Carolina Troops
                        Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

In the photo Mr. Williams posted that looks to me to be the Ellsworth/Hardee/Swing stack with the front of the stack towards the right of the photo.
                          John Duffer
                          Independence Mess
                          MOOCOWS
                          WIG
                          "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Originally posted by roundshot View Post
                            The weapons. by the way, appear to be Enfields.
                            Yes, Thanks for the correction. I guess I was distracted by the Gigantic pieces of Hardtack those boys were feasting on. :)
                            [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                            ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by PetePaolillo View Post
                              I enclosed a larger version of the photo of the tin drum canteen? I am not so sure that is what it is. get a better look. I think he is holding his plate in front of the canteen. Also notice the leather sling?
                              http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...835#post184835
                              I think you might be onto something there Pete. It doesn't really look like a canteen side in the close-up.
                              Michael Comer

Comment

Re: Worth taking a look!

I have merged the two threads about this photo to consolidate the discussion.
                                Michael Comer

Comment

Working...
                                X