• Show
Clear All

• 93rd NY, Company F closeups

Ryan Burns
    The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
    3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Re: 93rd NY, Company F closeups

Wow! Those are great close ups! So let's start the "Did ya notice" thread...

I see a nice mix of NCO, US, and SNY plates. It also looks like the sack coats in this pic are unlined...I say that because the shoulder seams look like they are flat felled. You can see a welt there. The fella wearing the frock with the slash pocket on the chest is cool too! Great Pic!
    V/R
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

I see at least two tarred forage caps
      Ryan Burns
      The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
      3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Comment

The main thing that stood out to me was that there are quite a few young teen looking guys. I counted 10 men that look more like 17 or 18 year olds to me.
        Kenny Pavia
        24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

I wonder when this was taken? The 93rd served as the Provost Guard for the Army of the Potomac from May 1862 until April 1864, when they were replaced by the 114th PA Zouaves. The 93rd was then sent to the 3rd Division of the 2nd Corps. (old 1st Division 3rd Corps). In EoG there is a kepi from one of the officers of the 93rd with the 3rd Corps badge on it. I thought it interesting that they went with the badge of a defunct corps they had no ties with before, but which their new comrades held on to dearly. They must have really wanted to fit in........

Will MacDonald

Comment

what I find interesting. There isn't a single NY state jacket on any of these guys. I like the fact that there is a array of buckles. The guy standing in the background at the trees has some hat brass on. And at least a few painted forage caps. As well as most of the Jackets not fitting any of them very well at all. The "kid to the far right sitting against the tree, is maybe 12.
            Robert Melville

We as Americans finish what we start. And dying for these Colors, or our brothers around us is no different. We will always remember the ones that have passed before us. Even though their bodies are committed to the depths their spirits live with in us and helps push for tomorrow

Comment

Yes the youngsters struck my eye too, also the frock with the outer pocket and indeed flat felled shoulder/sleeve seams. Another interesting detail are different styles of forage caps so called Type I and Type II. The latter with rather large visors.
              Boys I love those close ups!!!!!!!
              Jan H.Berger
              Hornist

German Mess
              http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

I like the Private Purchase Sackcoat/ Frock or smock on the man, the second on the right side of the young boy.
                Christof Bastert a.k.a Charles Kaiser, Private,
                Co D, 17th Mo Vol Inf (Re)

In Memory of Anthony and Joseph Schaer,
                Borlands Regiment/ 62nd Ark. Militia/Adams Inf./Cokes Inf.

German Mess

Comment

Charles, Are you talking about the fourth guy from the right standing?
                  Robert Melville

We as Americans finish what we start. And dying for these Colors, or our brothers around us is no different. We will always remember the ones that have passed before us. Even though their bodies are committed to the depths their spirits live with in us and helps push for tomorrow

Comment

Another great image Ryan...keep em coming. Lot's of young guys, but a few older ones too. Especially the one with the grey beard. And did anyone notice the black fella in the background with the "orbs" next to him? Looks kinda creepy to me for some reason. And what are those 2 fellas on the right passing to each other? Tobacco?
                    D.W.(Trace)Scalf
                    19th Alabama Infantry(Australia)
                    [url]http://www.19thal.50webs.com/[/url]

“Power corrupts. Knowledge is power. Study hard. Be evil.”

"Only the dead have seen the end of War".
                    George Santayana

Comment

Also noticed two "pinky" rings. What a great image a lot to look at. I'm really struck by the varied ages. Some of them look to be barely out of grade school while others look like they could be their Father or Grandfather. The number of them wearing NCO belt buckles and no chevrons/stripes is interesting too. ~Gary
                      Gary Dombrowski
                      [url]http://garyhistart.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

And what are those 2 fellas on the right passing to each other?
                        Ha ha! That's pretty funny because you can tell they're trying to be sneaky about it by both looking straight forward so nobody can tell. I can almost hear their conversation-

Guy on right: "Man this picture is taking forever."

Guy on left: "I know. I can't wait until its finished."

Guy on right: "Hey, you still have some of that tobacco?"

Guy on left: "Yeah, why? You want some?"

Guy on right: "Yeah, I have a feeling this will take a while."

Guy on left: "Ok. Here look straight ahead and I'll pass it to you."
                        Kenny Pavia
                        24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Love these photos. The LoC closeups make it more personal and the detail...you can get more then enough for making a quaility impression.

Great photos Ryan

Nathan C. Saunders
                          NCS1863
                          [B]NCS 1863[/B]
                          [COLOR="blue"][I][B][SIZE="2"]Nathan C. Saunders[/SIZE][/B][/I][/COLOR]

[B][SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]"Many of the grizzled veterans wept like women, and my own eyes were as blind as my voice was dumb" Major Henry Kyd Douglas at the surrender at Appotmattox.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]

Comment

Interesting discussion of an alternate image showing several of the officers and men of Company F, 93rd NYVI, seen in the above-mentioned photograph. If you scroll over the photo, you'll note the young lad seen in the background, over the left shoulder of the glum-looking officer second from left, has been tentatively ID'd as Drum Major Patrick Ford who, I'm happy to say, survived the war.

A little research, using known information about troops carried on the 93rd NVYI rolls in August 1863, will undoubtedly ID most, if not all, of the Company F officers. I conducted a similar exercise some years ago for another photograph in the 93rd NYVI series (all of which were very possibly taken on the same day). The photo I used was one of Company G, which has been already posted on the forum. Using some cdv's I found elsewhere, I was able to identify some of the officers and men in the image. Sad to say, at least one of the officers I ID'd was reportedly KIA in the Wilderness Campaign just a few months after he was photographed.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                            Last edited by markj; 09-19-2010, 12:47 PM.
                            Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Here's another image from the 93rd NYVI series. Drum Major Patrick Ford, posing with his baton, is prominently seated in the foreground. The location shown, complete with draped national color, is identical to the more-famous photo showing Ford "strutting" in front of the regimental field music. Indeed, the two images were likely made within a few minutes of each other.

Click on this link if the above one doesn't work: http://lccn.loc.gov/2006686852

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                              Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Working...
                              X