X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Three Generals in camp

Two things that are VERY cool...

First Photo:

He's wearing a field modified enlisted overcoat of the mounted pattern. He has added (more like, had someone else add...) two diagonal slash pockets at just above waist level and a horizontal breast slash pocket.
    Originally posted by Thehos Gendar
    Double breasted sky blue:
    Second Photo:

I agree that is Pleasonton and notice the riding crop hanging from his jacket on the right side. He must have it suspended from the toggle. Now that's a horseman!!

Dark blue French officers pattern:
    Last edited by CJSchumacher; 03-17-2004, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Re: Four Generals in camp

Nice call, Todd. I agree that must be Pleasonton. His headquarters was very close to Meade's that winter. Also, he's standing too close to Meade for it to be Sheridan. Had it been Sheridan, Meade might have had him in a headlock :wink_smil

Eric
      Eric J. Mink
      Co. A, 4th Va Inf
      Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

I'm going with Pleasonton here.
        Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

This figure in the dress hat and riding crop is cavalry leader Alfred Pleasonton, not Sheridan.

Compare the photos of Pleasonton - go here - http://www.generalsandbrevets.com/ngp/pleasonton3.htm

Also the figure with the sling looks like 1LT Alexander CM Pennington, of the horse artillery. Makes sense for him and Pleasonton to be at this location. Pennington was promoted to Captain on March 30, 1864, so this photo had to have been taken in late 1863 or early 1864.

Comment

Pennington

You can always spot Pennington by his huge nose.

Check out his pics at - http://www.geocities.com/rdenm76900/PenningtonAlex.html

Comment

Re: Pennington

Originally posted by FC Barlow
              You can always spot Pennington by his huge nose.

Check out his pics at - http://www.geocities.com/rdenm76900/PenningtonAlex.html
              Todd,

Not to dispute, but I have to think that might not be Pennington. I just think that as an artillery officer, he would most likely not be sporting a cavalry saber. He would more likely have one in an artillery pattern.

I don't know...it really does look like him in this photo, though...

Chris

Comment

Chris:

Look at this confirmed photo of Pennington in 1862 on the Peninsula, also a member of the horse artillery (2nd US Artillery, I think). He is carrying the same cavalry sabre.

(I can't figure out how to post photos, sorry!)

Same big ears, same big nose too.

Comment

Oh, Pennington is on the far right in that photo. Can anyone find a better quality version?

Pennington was a West Point graduate, general officer in the Spanish American War and died in 1917. Buried at West Point.

Comment

Originally posted by FC Barlow
                    Chris:

Look at this confirmed photo of Pennington in 1862 on the Peninsula, also a member of the horse artillery (2nd US Artillery, I think). He is carrying the same cavalry sabre.

(I can't figure out how to post photos, sorry!)

Same big ears, same big nose too.
                    Well, there you go...I guess some of those horse artillery officers liked to sport the same gear as their equine counterpart, the cavalry.

There have been stranger things...like a Federal wearing a VA two-piece buckle!!

OMG! :wink_smil

Chris

Comment

I may be on a roll today - the tall officer standing next to the right of the guy who we think is Pennington, looks like James Biddle, Meade's aide.

Check out photo of Meade and his aides taken in October 1863 at the Wallach House near Brandy Station. Biddle stands third from right with the sash across his chest (same stiff post). Theodore Lyman talks about Biddle a lot in his war diary.

Ok, I'm done.

Comment

The link of Biddle:

Comment

Great close-ups!

A few opservations to above close-ups:

First dude in overcoat, at top: is he wearing tight fitting leather gloves?

Middle dude in French officer's overcoat: does he have a riding crop around his neck and hanging down his right side?

Bottom dude in tourniquet: the fellow to the left of the image, wearing a medal - is he a "war hero"? Can anyone ID the medal?
                          PATRICK CRADDOCK
                          Prometheus No. 851
                          Franklin, Tennessee
                          Widows' Sons Mess
                          www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

The Officer standing to the left of Sedgwick is General Alfred Torbert, he was a Brigade/Division Commander in the 6th Corps. The photograph I am attaching to this message, shows Torbert wearing the same hat as he is wearing in the photograph in question.

Hope this helps.
                            Cpl. Augie Marchetti
                            Phila.

Originally posted by Thehos Gendar
                            It looks like Sedgwick is standing right next to Tyler:

Here's a studio image of Tyler:

It looks like the 18 button front jackets were popular on the staff (what a pain in the ... )!

Comment

Augie:

This post is a little late, but great call. The man next to Meade is indeed Alfred Torbert and not Robert O. Tyler! Nice job!

Todd

Comment

I meant next to Sedgwick and not Meade. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X