Photo of a regiment with a skirmish line in front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo of a regiment with a skirmish line in front

Found this cool picture while surfing the web. Has anyone seen this before? Been able to ID the unit or if it is actually a Civil War Era photo?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	TTfvbbE.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	230487

Jim Taub
    Jim Taub
    The Western Rifles

Re: Photo of a regiment with a skirmish line in front

Thats a great picture! A nice shot of skirmish drill, seemingly.
    Jonathan Siltman
    24th Missouri Vol. Inf.
    Bully Boys Mess
    www.24thmissouri.org
    Ft. Sill Museum Gun Crew
    Good ol' Fashion Troublemaker

Comment

I wrote an article on this photograph many years ago for Military Images Magazine. It was taken in Blue Springs, Tennessee in early 1865. It is Army of the Cumberland, but I don't have my notes on the units in this image. I know the 84th Illinois is one of them. This was part of a series of images, and I wrote another article on those. I have a copy of it made around the turn of the century, which used to hang in a GAR Hall in Richmond, Indiana.

I will see if I can dig the articles off my computer at home.
      Scott Cross
      "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Scott, do you mean 1864? Just curious because I've seen many images of the Federals camped near Blue Springs from 1864. No matter what year, I'd be happy to ready the information on the command.
        Herb Coats
        Armory Guards &
        WIG

Comment

Herb,
          I have the photographer identified and a soldiers letter stating when he was in their camp. I don't recall if it was late 1864 or early 1865. I'm still need to dig out my notes.
          Scott Cross
          "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Scott-

Is this the Blue Springs image you're thinking of? This is IV Corps drilling, spring of 1864. The 84th Illinois is in the image somewhere. This is where a local photographer took images of the companies individually, only two of which still exist to my knowledge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	78th IL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	223722

This image is misidentified at the WIU Library as the 78th, but has been confirmed to be the 84th.

I have this in pdf format that shows beautiful details (like the band, and the artillery drilling), but I can't figure out how to load it.

The 84th is a bit of pet project of mine; two companies are from where I now live, and they play heavily in my local research (self-whoring mention of link in signature.)
            Last edited by J. Donaldson; 02-08-2013, 02:48 PM.
            Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
            My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Scott,
              As I recall, your image was hand tinted and also had individual soldiers in the skirmish line identified in inscriptions. There was a stand of colors in the skirmish line's reserve. You had speculated it pictured the deployment of an entire division, whereas the OP's subject photo appears at first glance to be a large regiment. Not the same albumen photo as yours, but obviously taken as part of a series of images.

Originally posted by ScottCross View Post
              Herb,
              I have the photographer identified and a soldiers letter stating when he was in their camp. I don't recall if it was late 1864 or early 1865. I'm still need to dig out my notes.
              Last edited by CompanyWag; 02-08-2013, 03:59 PM.
              Paul McKee

Comment

Bob, yes that is the one. Thanks!
                Herb Coats
                Armory Guards &
                WIG

Comment

Well, this shows you old my article was. It was published in 1988, and was written on a typewriter!

Herb,
                  You are correct: the images were taken by a photographer named Sweeney in April 1864. There are five known images, but probably many more.

Paul,
                  You are correct: the image I own shows Grose's 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 4th Army Corp at Blue Springs. The image posted by Jim Taub is a different image, but I have no doubt from the terrain and leafless trees that this is another image by Sweeney taken at Blue Springs in April 1864. Besides the Brigade in formation image, there are two known images of companies from the 84th Illinois; one of the 9th Indiana; and one of the brigade wagon train. The image I own shows the 36th Indiana in skirmish formation in front of the brigade and a battery of artillery in position, probably Battery B, 2nd Pennsylvania Light Artillery.

After my article was printed, a carte de visite image of a sketch made by William H, Morgan of the 9th Indiana, was published later in 1988. It illustrates the locations of regimental camps in the valley.

I would like to see a larger image of the one posted by Jim.
                  Scott Cross
                  "Old and in the Way"

Comment

This is the brigade wagon train, misidentified as Burnsides army and the wrong Blue Springs (there were two in Tennessee) and date.
                    Scott Cross
                    "Old and in the Way"

Comment

This is the company photograph of the 9th Indiana in their camp:
                      Scott Cross
                      "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Here is the direct image link, it might be a bit bigger.

Jim

Jim Taub
                        The Western Rifles

Comment

Working...
                        X