Bearded uniform model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearded uniform model

I'm sure I'm not the first person to notice this, and so there's already a thread about it I'm sure, so if there is please excuse this. However, I am just intrigued by the darkly-bearded gentleman that is in a lot of period photographs (such as in Echoes of Glory) modeling uniforms. Not only are they just uniforms, but they seem to be the primo to the T regulation uniforms for most, if not all the branches of the Army, white gloves included. I say most only because I haven't seen enough of them to say all, but I wouldn't be surprised. I've even seen pictures of him dressed in the regulation musician uniforms of infantry, cavalry, and artillery (with LA plumed shako) holding a bugle and even armed with the appropriate edged weapon.

I finally got tired of not knowing and seeing him (colorized) on the cover of John P. Langellier's Army Blue 1848-1873 wearing a full dress ordnance uniform complete with fully rigged M1858 hat, shoulder scales on frock coat with service stripe, white gloves, and sporting the appropriate accouterments with bayoneted '61 Springfield finally put me over the edge, hence this post. Does anyone know anything about this guy? What was his name, where was he from, was he actually a soldier? What photographer did he work for (I assume it was the same one)? Were these to be used in the uniform regulations as a guide or something? Basically I'd be interested in any information anyone has on him.

Thanks!
    SSG John Connors
    122nd Army Band
    Bugler, I Co. 66th O.V.I.
    Alto horn musician, 73rd O.V.I. Regiment Band

Re: Bearded uniform model

These were the U.S. Quartermaster's official sample photos. The complete set (as well as a few tons of other stuff) appears in this new release: http://1865quartermastermanual.com/index.htm
    Marc A. Hermann
    Liberty Rifles.
    MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
    Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Oh I see! Wow, that's something else. I guess there's yet another book (books) I need to get to find out all I want to know. Thanks for the tip Marc!
      SSG John Connors
      122nd Army Band
      Bugler, I Co. 66th O.V.I.
      Alto horn musician, 73rd O.V.I. Regiment Band

Comment

Not sure if he ever was identified, was a soldier, or an employee at Schuylkill Arsenal...or some "model" they hired in Philadelphia to pose for the pictures. Similar photographs were made to document the 1872 uniform changes using a different mustachioed individual to pose in all the new uniform items of that time period as well.
        Paul McKee

Comment

Originally posted by CompanyWag View Post
          Similar photographs were made to document the 1872 uniform changes using a different mustachioed individual to pose in all the new uniform items of that time period as well.
          ...including underwear.
          Scott Cross
          "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Well I really didn't need that $265 anyway....
            Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Gents,

The enlisted uniform photos are available here:

Regards,

geoffrey lehmann
              geoffrey lehmann

Comment

Some of the originals were on display in the "Photography and the Civil War" exhibit at the Met. http://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions...ican-civil-war
                Kurt Luther
                9th PA Reserves

Comment

This guy was undoubtedly a combat veteran - look at those eyes! there is the 1000 meter stare! And look how he holds the rifle - keeping his fingers off the barrel on the wood stock! That comes through training and experience.
                  Erik Von Gorr

Comment

Working...
                  X