Mounted and Horse Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounted and Horse Photos

If anyone comes across any good photos of mounted soldiers or photos showing good closeup wartime images of horses, please post them (or the links) here. There aren't many good closeup wartime images of mounted men and horses available and I am interested in seeing whatever is out there!

I have seen the images in Ken Knopp's book on Confederate horse equipments, and in the Photographic History of the Civil War--The Cavalry, so no need to re-post those.

Thanks,
    Ken Morris
    10th Regt of Cavalry NYSV.

Re: Mounted and Horse Photos

Greetings,

You'll like this image of an alleged NH cav officer:

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Here's another nice image:

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Having a family member that was in the 1st NY (Lincoln) Cavalry, my research took me to the Library of Congress and I found some great images, I hope this helps:

Co. "G," 1st Massachusetts Cavalry, May 1862

Petersburg, Va. Detachment of 3d Indiana Cavalry

Fort Burnham, Va., vicinity. Camp of the 5th Pennsylvania Cavalry near the battlefield of Oct. 29, 1864

Antietam, Md. A cavalry orderly

Comment

Mark,

I don't believe the supposed N.H. pic is of the CW period. The McClellan saddle has no skirts, much like the model 1872 saddles which were also covered in black leather. Tough to say...it does have brass moulding on both the pommel and cantle. Its too bad this saddle happens to retain is stirrup fenders as we might be able to see the leather safes under the D rings that were part of the refitting of the old '59's.

Regardless, its a great photo and I love the cape!

Here's a definite CW equestrian photo, which we discussed in an earlier thread in the Cav folder. He is a trooper in the 17th Pa cavalry.

Source: Civil War Image Database, Valley of the Shadow: Two Communities in the American Civil War, Virginia Center for Digital History, University of Virginia (http://valley.vcdh.virginia.edu/govd...ch_images.html).

Comment

Note the left side-butt forward revolver holster in Chris' photo. The holster is right next to the saber, so that either could be easily drawn cross the body with the right hand. Wonder where he got the left side butt forward holster?
            Mike Ventura
            Shannon's Scouts

Comment

A member of the California Battalion.
              Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Ventura View Post
                Note the left side-butt forward revolver holster in Chris' photo. The holster is right next to the saber, so that either could be easily drawn cross the body with the right hand. Wonder where he got the left side butt forward holster?
                Interestingly, if you look at the photo at the top of the thread of Co. "G," 1st Massachusetts Cavalry, May 1862 , there are a number of left side-butt forward holsters being worn on their right sides (so the butt is facing rearward on the right). Very odd.
                Dave Gink
                2nd US Cavalry
                West Bend, WI

Comment

Captain Edward A. Flint, 1st Massachusetts Cavalry
                  Attached Files
                  Dave Gink
                  2nd US Cavalry
                  West Bend, WI

Comment

Custers Michigan Brigade was known to have the best looking, best dressed men on his staff. My guess is that these were real troopers, not on his staff.
                    Attached Files
                    Jeffery P. Babineau

Comment

Working...
                    X