Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldiers Filling Canteens

Gents-

I had never seen this image before and found it kind of interesting. It is identified as "soldiers filling canteens-Fredericksburg, VA May, 1864". For most of us I think we envision the boys running down to the nearest creek and filling their canteens up but this image looks more like how we end up getting our water at a large scale event (minus the water buffalo of course). It is rather hard to completely tell if that is in fact what they are doing. Not sure if the forum has laid eyes on this picture before but I thought I would share it.

Here is the image's home. Might be other pics of interest here but this one caught my attention first.

Over 1,000 Civil War Images, Photographs and Cartes de Visites
    Attached Files
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Re: Soldiers Filling Canteens

This photo came up on the cavalry side at one point because of the chance to see horses and tack in the field. It is interesting for a number of aspects. Lots of African-Americans in the photo attending horses. I think someone also suggested it was sort of a sutler in the picture too. Hard to tell. I can't see one canteen in the picture so not sure what they are doing.
    Rob Bruno
    1st MD Cav
    http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Working...
    X