X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rmilstead
    replied
    Aaron,
    I am going out on a limb here (I am not a weapons guy ) but I believe that is a Model 1840 Light Artillery sabre. If ,as you say, the picture is of a cavalryman there are several reasons this could be, 1.) they issued him this because of inadequate Ordinance stocks (unlikely) , (2.)he picked it up own his own, (again unlikely) or (3.) it was a studio prop of the photographer which was provided when he had his picture taken (most likely.) Incidentally, the belt also appears to be an artillery sword belt rather than the standard one issued to a cavalryman. Attached is a picture of the Model 1840 Light Artillery sabre.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Light Artillery Sabre 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.9 KB ID:	281184

Best explanation I have.

Dick Milstead
    Company of Military Historians
    Liberty Rifles

Leave a comment:

• msuaaronc
    started a topic Sword Type ID

Sword Type ID

Helping a friend out. This is his relative who served in the 1st Vermont Cav. The sword used to be in the family until 1920 when it was prob sold off. He is looking to get a replica but needs to know what type/manufacturer this sword is. It's the only photo he has so hopefully someone can help ID it. Thanks!

Aaron
    Attached Files
Working...
X