• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp Douglas prisoners

Probably seen it a bunch but didn't notice the hats so much before

John Pillers
    John Pillers
    Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Re: Camp Douglas prisoners

Talk about hats with attitude! Nice image, John. Looks like at least one quilted cloth hat, and what on earth is that monstrosity on the guy in the back left side?
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

I had posted this earlier, but the posting disappeared.
      The Camp Douglas photos compared favorably with a hat that has turned up in the home of an officer of the 6th Wisconsin. The home produced his frock coat, forage cap and the hat pictured below. When first seen this hat resembles a creation of L.L. Bean, or similar to a 'Nam era boonie hat. It is made of tan cotton, four piece body (crown) with a double thickness of cotton to form the brim. The hat is machine sewn. The crown is lined with white cloth, has a dark brown, very thin, sweatband and at one time the brim was bound. Glued to the underside of the brim is a label stating,"Reb cap taken at Chantilly Va., Sept. 6, 1862".
      If this were offered on eBay I would be the first to suspect it, but in consideration of where it was found, it may be a credible example of an early war Confederate piece.
      I welcome comments.
      Steve Sullivan
      46th Illinois
      CWPT
      Co. Mil. Hist.
      Attached Files

Comment

Steve, I can't seem to access the attachment. Can you e-mail it to me? Thanks.
        ~ Chris Hubbard
        Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
        [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

I cannot acess attatchments either

Comment

When I go to this thread I can see the attachments, why not Chris and Matt?
            Steve Sullivan
            46th Illinois also
            CWPT
            Co. Mil. Hist.

Comment

I couldn't see the attachments in Firefox, so I opened the thread in IE, where I could see the links. However, once I clicked on them, all I got were empty pages and no images. Interestingly enough, I logged into my account on IE, reloaded the page, and the links disappeared.
              Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

I will now admit that the attachments no longer show up for me either. I will post these again, or try.
                Steve Sullivan
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X