Now this is cool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now this is cool

This should generate some quality discussion. Have at it boys.

P.S. Is there some type of softwear program you can buy that allows you to do the same thing with other images? I'm not what you would call a computer literate person.
    Last edited by ; 01-13-2007, 10:01 PM.

Re: Now this is cool

Chris, that is really great. First thing I noticed were the 2 men if you zoom in about 1 inch below and then 1 inch to the left of center were carrying axes inside of their coats with the head sticking out between the buttons. Secondly there is some very interesting headwear and scarves/blankets, possibly folding slouches??
    John Fable

Liberty Rifles
    1st Maine Cavalry
    13th New Jersey/Stockton Guards

Comment

Their shoes look to be in pretty decent shape......
      Breandan Mackie

Comment

What are they hanging out the windows? Blankets?

There appears to be a lot of Richmond Depot clothing.

Comment

Whats that thing with four rods in the front center of the photograph? Look to the left of the first line of men and you will see what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by johnf1862 View Post
            Chris, that is really great. First thing I noticed were the 2 men if you zoom in about 1 inch below and then 1 inch to the left of center were carrying axes inside of their coats with the head sticking out between the buttons. Secondly there is some very interesting headwear and scarves/blankets, possibly folding slouches??
            Some of the men behind the ones with the axes/hatchets in their coats seem to be holding a square and a straightedge of a rule of some kind. Is there any record of a construction or repair detail? It could be possible also that the rods were used somehow in construction or surveying.
            Scott McGowan,
            35th OVI, Co. G
            Co. A, 1st Bat. 19th US Inf
            Past Master,
            Lebanon Lodge #26, F&AM

Comment

It looks like there is a gentleman with something that resembles a square to the right of the four rods. Also, there is a gentleman holding a saw at the extreme right side of the picture. I also notice what seems to be a spattering of civilian frock coats throughout the photo. Pretty neat image!!

Chris
              [FONT="Book Antiqua"][B]Christopher P. Young[/B]
              [/FONT] [URL="http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com"]Army of Tennessee[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.antebellumpoliticing.blogspot.com/"]Our Federal Union, It Must Be Preserved[/URL]
              [FONT="Palatino Linotype"]"Of all the properties which belong to honorable men, not one is so highly prized as that of character." Secretary of State Henry Clay, July 27,1827[/FONT]

Comment

It is a nice assortment of headgear. A good smattering of forage caps with hat brass – seem to be dark blue. I was able to see three corporals; two with “curved” and one with “straight” chevrons.

In the foreground is a mechanical device of sorts. Is that a style of hand cranked water pump?

A very interesting photo indeed; whatever the software is, it is a fantastic feature and great clarity when you zoom it.
                [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
                Dirigo Grays
                CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
                Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

It's Macromedia Shockwave Flash, now owned by Adobe. It would appear that they borrowed some ideas from LizardTech's MrSID viewer.
                  [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                  [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
                  [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

The officer guy in the front row looks like he still has his sidearm.

Comment

I like the variance in uniforms and also the handful of belts that can be seen, one man wearing the British import two piece snake buckle... very neat!
                      Cheers,
                      [COLOR=Red]Kirby Smith[/COLOR]

Loblolly Mess

Too many ancestors who served and events on the schedule to post here...

Comment

It looks like the rods in question could be one. The man hold it was probably moving it while the photo was being taken. Some of the rods look transparent and from the looks of it and in relative position to his body his hand is in the center of the pole and that being blurry too leads me to think that he was moving it. But anyway the image is great.
                        [FONT=Century Gothic]Very Respectfully,
                        Brian G. Holt
                        VMI CWRT
                        61st New York
                        Co. E CVG
                        [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Suppelsa View Post
                          Whats that thing with four rods in the front center of the photograph? Look to the left of the first line of men and you will see what I mean.
                          Probably one rod, whatever....
                          Looks like the guy move it around while the image was being struck.
                          [SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][B]Howard Davis[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
                          [I]Retired[/I]

Comment

If you look all the way to the left at the Corporal what kind og hat is that?
                            [FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="Red"][B][FONT="Impact"][FONT="Georgia"]Avery Miller[/FONT][/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
                            [B]Co A, 2nd Bn, Ga Sharpshooters[/B]
                            [I][B]"[I]Cox's Wildcats[/I]"[/B][/I]
                            [B]Co A, 64th Illinois
                            [I][B]"[I]Yates Sharpshooters[/I]"[/B][/FONT][/I][/B]

Comment

Excuse me look at the right.
                              [FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="Red"][B][FONT="Impact"][FONT="Georgia"]Avery Miller[/FONT][/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
                              [B]Co A, 2nd Bn, Ga Sharpshooters[/B]
                              [I][B]"[I]Cox's Wildcats[/I]"[/B][/I]
                              [B]Co A, 64th Illinois
                              [I][B]"[I]Yates Sharpshooters[/I]"[/B][/FONT][/I][/B]

Comment

Working...
                              X