Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20th Iowa Infantry Soldier With Private Purchase Cap

Gents-

Found this private purchase forage cap ID'ed to a private soldier in Company B, 20th Iowa Infantry already sold on a dealer's website. I figured I would share this as many of us tend to think of western soldiers nearly exclusively wearing dress, slouch or civilian type hats and this is not only a forage cap but a private purchase one to an Iowa boy by the name of Allen Mohler that was in the Trans-Mississippi theater. Not only is this cap identified but the owner had a rather narrow window of service as shown in his record from the Adjutant General Office, Roster and Record of Iowa Soldiers in the War of the Rebellion

Link for the cap;

Civil War Artifacts, Antiques, and Collectibles

Service record of Private Allen Mohler;

Mohler, Allen. Age 18. Residence Center Point, nativity Ohio. Enlisted Aug. 9, 1862. Mustered
    Aug. 23, 1862. Discharged for disability March 20, 1863, Springfield, Mo.
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry
Working...
X