Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What color stain for M1842 musket stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What color stain for M1842 musket stock?

Pards,

I have just purchased a Traditions M1842 smooth bore Springfield kit. I will defarb it as I assemble it, but I would like your collective opinion as to which brand/color with which to stain the stock. I want it to look well used as appropriate for the period. Different stain manufacturers use different materials and bases to achieve their colors, but may turn wonky over time and exposure to the elements, which I would like to avoid. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what to seal it with. Boiled linseed oil comes to mind, but what have you used, and is there anything better or to avoid?

Trying to get ready for Perryville, and this little project will take time to get it right.

Thanks for your opinions,

Douglas Urbanski
    1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry
    Mess No. 1

Ancestors:
    William Miller, Co A, 89th New York Vol Inf
    Cyrus Benjamin, Co G, 30th Wisconsin Vol Inf
    David Wilcox, Co C, 146th Illinois Vol Inf
    Arthur McAlister, Corporal, Co B, 5th MN Infantry and 1st LT, Co D 1st MN Heavy Artillery

American dark walnut would. Be an appropriate stain most arms were dyed with dark walnut stain you can’t go wrong looking at period examples would help the Italian walnut stain they give on repros from pedersoli or
    others italian manufacturers mostly use european walnut and it is inaccurate and should any body use guns with Italian walnut stain they should take all the widgets off sand it down and restain to American black walnut as that is on most guns of the period it’s pretty standard for all springfields and other guns made before hand and afterward

chris roberts 79th New York company c
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 79thpard; 03-06-2023, 12:25 AM. Reason: 1842s were in question
    Christian Roberts

Comment

Notice at least one of the 42s is a tad lighter
      Christian Roberts

Comment

Some of these are 1861s other three 42s
        Christian Roberts

Comment

Also they did fade to the color that is shown on one of the 42s picture probably due to exposure to the elements sunlight rain other possible wear and tear could make the American black walnut stain lighter

Christian Roberts

Comment

I can’t point you in the right direction for a stain but
            if you can gather or aquire black walnut hulls you could make your own stain for it but that’s a hard process and time consuming look for brands that state they are all natural wood stain avoid synthetic containing ones as that would be incorrect older stains were more natural as opposed to modern ones and if it doesn’t turn out the right color you want try again if you can boiled linseed would work as a sealer and isn’t incorrect

I am also in the process of trying to do the same thing as it’s cheaper to by a kit than a whole rifle these
            days unless your using gunbroker or other sites where you might find a beater for cheap

Christian Roberts

Comment

Thank you for the advice. I will use General Finishes walnut color when I get the musket put together.
              Douglas Urbanski
              1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry
              Mess No. 1

Ancestors:
              William Miller, Co A, 89th New York Vol Inf
              Cyrus Benjamin, Co G, 30th Wisconsin Vol Inf
              David Wilcox, Co C, 146th Illinois Vol Inf
              Arthur McAlister, Corporal, Co B, 5th MN Infantry and 1st LT, Co D 1st MN Heavy Artillery

Comment

Working...
              X