A Hoosier's letter from Camp Near Kingston GA May 21, 1864

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Hoosier's letter from Camp Near Kingston GA May 21, 1864

In recognition of the anniversary, I thought I'd share this. My third-great grandmother's brother, Will, wrote this letter to her from the field 150 years ago today. William G. Wright, of Princeton, Indiana, was a private in Co. H, 17th Indiana Volunteer Infantry. (Wilder's Lightning Brigade) At this time he served as the company clerk. Later that summer he became a regular clerk at Regimental Headquarters. There are several instances where I couldn't make out the word. These are indicated with a {?}

Camp Near Kingston GA
    May 21st 1864
    Dear Sister Mary
    I received your kind & very interesting letter just one week ago and this being the first time we have stopped for any length of time I embrace the opportunity and will try and give you a few items as you see this is the 21st of the month consequently we have been just one month & three days on the road since leaving Louisville and have been in the Saddle all that time with the exception of three days that is making us pay pretty dear for our two furloughs at Home. I wrote you at Columbia Tenn the next morning after we were on the march once and so on up to the present time. we are four miles from Kingston and fifty four miles from Atlanta, the imporgnable [impregnable] stronghold of the Johny Rebs this time sure. Well it is a fighting but I cant see it. The truth is that we have been defeating them at every point though losing a good many men for they are fighting desperately and from the way things are looking in this section of the country I think they are playing their last cards. I only hope & trust that they are. I never knew the army in better spirits or more eager for our generals to push on vigorusly they all say that they are willing to go day & night until it is played out. Our command has & will see harder service during this summer than ever before but then there is not a man in Co. “H” that wishes them to stop and willing to go on half rations & travel all day & half the night rather than it should be so. The One hundred day men coming out so formally has brightened their hopes more than any thing that has transpired for a long time also the news from the Potomac Army are such as to keep us in excellent spirits I forget whether I mentioned in my last about seeing Uncle Joe at Munfordsville, Ky. He was well. I am glad he is there and hope he will continue there. His Regt has been in another fight and lost heavily. They numbered four hundred & fifty men before going into the fight and came out with one hundred & twelve unhurt. Among the ones killed is William Archer. As for the others I am not able to learn. So far our Regt has been very fortunate although we have been in line of battle several times but there is no telling how soon we may have the Rebs yelling around us for we have no distance to go to get into a fight-I will always be satisfied if I have as good health as I at the present time. I am also happy to say that the rest of the Co. are Well-George H has just recd a Letter from his mother & that you are well at that time. It also stated the death of Mr. Devin. I am very sorry to hear of the loss Princeton has sustained in the death of such a good man as him.

[Note written in ink above header]
    Give this photo of John He{?} to Em Hill if she wants one with my best regards
    Will
    Undated letter. Perhaps written prior to June 1864 or a continuation of the May 21 letter.

I must think you all right you did not say anything in yours about receiving a letter from me while at Louisville Ky in which I requested Papa to see about some blankets & a jacket I left at Ben Brownlys to get fixed if you did not get it I do not want the blankets and would like if he could send the jacket by someone coming out here but don’t send it by express as it is getting dark I must close enclosed you will find two photos you can give them to who you please as I have disposed of all I wish to George sends you a wild calacanthies and has not recd your letter also his {?} give my regards to all {?} & love at home
    I remain your loving Brother Will G. Wright
    A couple notes regarding some references he makes in the letter.
    His Uncle Joe was Joseph C. Hartin. He was two months older than Will and served in Co. A, 80th Indiana Volunteer The William Archer referenced was Lieutenant William Archer, Co. A, 80th Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He was killed while attempting to aid a wounded comrade at the battle of Resaca, Georgia on May 14, 1864. The Princeton, Indiana GAR post was named in his honor.
    Matthew Rector
Working...
X