16th Mississippi Infantry Flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16th Mississippi Infantry Flag

If this is not in the right folder, please feel free to move.

I'm looking for any information or evidence of what type of battle flag the 16th Mississippi Infantry carried during Jackson's Valley Campaign; specifically The Battle of Cross Keys. Thank you in advance.

Ben Cwayna
    Ben Cwayna

Re: 16th Mississippi Infantry Flag

While doing a little research the other day, I found the following story, and as it was very  interesting I decided to share it on the blog. It’s from the Macon Telegraph (Macon, GA), April 2…
    Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
    44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Thanks for sending that along. I am wondering if the flag in the article was a later flag or one circa the Valley Campaign. It looks to me like a 1st or 2nd Bunting. I guess that begs the question; would Jackson's Troops have received those flags while they were in the valley or later on when they joined up with Johnston's army on the pensinsula?
      Ben Cwayna

Comment

Ben.

That's not a bunting flag. It's one of the silk issue variants made in late 1861. During the winter of 1861-62 the 16th was not part of Jackson's Army but part of Ewell's division with the main army at Centerville. The division was transferred to Jackson in May 1862.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Originally posted by Mississippian View Post
          Ben.

That's not a bunting flag. It's one of the silk issue variants made in late 1861. During the winter of 1861-62 the 16th was not part of Jackson's Army but part of Ewell's division with the main army at Centerville. The division was transferred to Jackson in May 1862.

Will MacDonald
          Thank you for this information. This helps.
          Ben Cwayna

Comment

Working...
          X