X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nineteenth Century Slang Dictionary - By Craig Hadley

Compiled & Edited by Craig Hadley

PERIOD SLANG

Humbug? Shecoonery? Useless truck or gum? Hornswoggling? Honey-fuggling? Not in this book, dear sir! I swan to mercy, a huckle- berry above anyone's persimmon. Some pumpkins, a caution, 100 percent certified by a Philadelfy lawyer. If not, dad-blame it, I'll hang up my fiddle, and you can sass me, knock me into a cocked hat, give me jesse, fix my flint, settle my hash, ride me out on a rail and have a conniption fit, you cussed scalawag. Now ain't that the beatingest language you ever did hear? Sure beats the Dutch! Pshaw! Do tell! Bully for you!

This is just a small example of the period slang of the 19th century that you would hear during the Civil War. This will help you build your first person character if you learn some of the lingo of the time.

WARNING: We have also included period curse words and obscenities in here as well. While the Civil War soldier was not supposed to curse in front of officers or NCOs, he certainly used them, so we felt it was important to include these as well. These are located at the end of the regular slang dictionary under a separate heading.

Many of these slang terms were taken from a book entitled “Writing for the 19th Century: A Writers Guide for all things Victorian”. It is filled with wonderful information regarding slang terms and other wonderful details of 19th century life. We have also included, when we could, when the first recorded time this phrase was known to be used, as well as a brief definition of the word.

And so, dear reader, here be but a microcosm of America's nineteenth-century colloquialisms and slang, some from the upper class, some from the lower, and much from the strata in between.

19th Century Slang (A Small Sample)

For much, much more, just download the attached PDF file at the bottom of this post. You must be a registered member to download the file. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR FREE.

absquatulate: to take leave, to disappear.
    1843: A can of oysters was discovered in our office by a friend, and he absquatulated with it, and left us with our mouth watering. Missouri Reporter, February 2
    1862- Rumor has it that a gay bachelor, who has figured in Chicago for nearly a year, has skedaddled, absquatulated, vamoosed, and cleared out. Rocky Mountain News, Denver, May 10

accelerator: a velocipede. (See also Bicycling in Amusements, p. 19 1.)

acknowledge the corn: to admit the truth; to confess; to acknowledge one's own obvious lie or shortcoming.
    1840: David Johnson acknowledged the corn, and said that he was drunk. Daily Pennant,St. Louis, July 14
    1846: I hope he will give up the argument, or, to use a familiar phrase, acknowledge the corn. Mr. Speight, Mississippi, U.S. Senate, Congressional Globe, January 28
    1850: He has not confessed the corn, as the saying is, that he did preach disunion? Mr. staniy, North Carolina, House of Reps., congressional Globe

across lots: to push on straight through despite obstacles.
    1853: "Go to hell across lots." Brigham Young, journal of Discourses, March 27
    1869: 1 came cross lots from Aunt Sawin's and I got caught in those pesky blackberry bushes in the graveyard. Harriet Beecher Stowe, Old Town Folks

algerine: a pirate.
    1844: They have called the law for punishing treason an Algerine law; they have denominated us the Algerine party; and they have talked a great deal about Algerine cruelties. Mr. Potter, Rhode Island, House of Reps., Congressional Globe, March 12

all creation, all nature, all wrath: everything or everybody.
    1819: Father and I have just returned from the balloon - all nature was there, and More too. Massachusetts Spy, November 3
    1833: I could eat like all wrath ... I'll be down on him like all wrath anyhow. J.K. Paulding, Banks of the Ohio
    1839: He pulls like all creation, as the woman remarked when the horse ran away with her. Yale Literary Magazine

all-fired: hell-fired.
    1835: His boss gin him a most all-fired cut with a horsewhip. Boston Pearl, November 28
    1852: In my opinion, Dan Baxter would make an all-fired good deacon. Knickerbocker Magazine, August
    1866: 0 Sall, did you ever see such an all-fired sight of shoes? Seba Smith, Way Down East, p.289
    1872: You were too all-fired lazy to get a stick of wood. J.M. Bailey, Folks in Danbury, p.80

all on one stick: a conglomeration or combination.
    1830: He kept a kind of hotel and grocery store, all on one stick, as we say. N. Dana, A Mariner's Sketches, p.18

all-overish: uncomfortable.
    1855: 1 grew - all-overish - no other phrase expresses it. Putnam's Magazine, December

allow: to admit; to be of the opinion.
    1840: She said she would allow he was the most beautiful complected child she had ever seen. Knickerbocker Magazine
    1866: Where is Hamlin? I allow that he is dead, or I would ask him too. C.,H. Smith, Bill Arp, p.23

all possessed, like: like someone or something possessed by the devil.
    1857: He'd carry on like all possessed -dance and sing, and tell stories, jest as limber and lively as if he'd never hefted a timber. Putnam's Magazine, January
    1878: She dropped a pan o' hot oysters into the lap of a customer and set him to swearin' and dancin' like all possessed. J.H. Beadle, Western Wilds, p.184

all to pieces: completely; absolutely.
    1839: "I know him all to pieces," replied the gentleman. Charles Biiggs, Harry Franco
    1847: I knew him all to pieces as soon as I caught sight of him. Charles Briggs, Tom Pepper

almighty: huge.
    1848: I felt almighty blue. Stray Subjects, p.109

For much, much more, just download the attached PDF file. You must be a registered member to download the file. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR FREE.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 06-26-2019, 08:25 PM. Reason: Formatting
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner
Working...
X