Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help in Research Work - Finding Ann Cordy Articles on Thread Color Change

Folks,
    I am involved in a new research project on Federal uniforms and I am trying to locate a copy of one or both of two research papers done in the 80's. Ann Cordy (Deegan) was wrote a PhD. thesis in 1983 at the University of Maryland titled "Investigation of thread color change in American Civil War uniforms" and in 1986 Cordy and Kwan-Nan Yeh published an article in Textile History 17(1) 91-98 titled "Investigation of Thread Colour Change in United States Civil War Uniforms" probably based upon Cordy's earlier work. These papers were, as far as I am aware, the first scientific investigation of the tendency of Logwood dyed thread in federal uniforms to change color from dark blue to brown with exposure to light and heat. I am looking for a copy of either or preferably both or sources where they can be obtained. I have already considered the U of Mich Libraries but came up empty searching for this manuscript in the Dissertation DB there. The Journal/Magazine Textile History may be foreign (UK?) and no longer published.

If anyone has a copy of either please contact me to negotiate my obtaining a copy. Thanks.

Dick Milstead
    Company of Military Historians
    Liberty Rifles
    Hardaways Alabama Battery
    Richard Milstead

Re: Help in Research work - Finding Ann Cordy articles on Thread color change

I was able to find this online.

The article BLUE DYE IDENTIFICATION ON CELLULOSIC FIBERS: INDIGO, LOGWOOD, AND PRUSSIAN BLUE
    Ann Cordy, & Kwan-nan Yeh

It seems the Smithsonian has a copy.

And the University of Maryland has a copy. You may ask them for a copy.

I hope this helps.
    Timothy J. Koehn
    Boone's Louisiana Battery
    Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
    http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

Re: Help in Research work - Finding Ann Cordy articles on Thread color change

Timothy,

Thank you for the references. I had already seen the article which seems to be an "off shoot" of Cordy's original research. I have tried to contact the Smithsonian Library and was instructed to leave a message with the main number of the specific branch that houses their copy (they haven't called me back in a week.) My first run at the UMCP Library system basically ended when I was told as a non student (I'm a UMCP alumnus living in the area) I couldn't get access to items in their library! I have submitted a request for access anyway but have yet to hear back. Either the Smithsonian or UMCP would involve lots of photo copying on their premises (if they allow such) because the manuscript is "Non-Circulating" and must be viewed there. Very similar to NARA and a "pain!"

My "out reach" to the Authentic Campaigner community was in hopes that somebody had a copy of the dissertation or the paper based upon it. Another AC viewer contacted me personally to suggest I contact a person they knew who might have a copy which I will do. I have also found that the author still lives in California so I am trying to get contact information for her as well.

Needless to say, research is sometimes like this, a lot more than just using the "Google machine"

Dick
      Richard Milstead

Comment

Re: Help in Research Work - Finding Ann Cordy Articles on Thread Color Change

Just in case you have trouble obtaining a copy, I did a search through WorldCat at the college library I work for and found this. These libraries have a copy and you probably could reach out to them via Inter-Library Loan.

Auburn University, North Carolina State University, Smithsonian Libraries, Us Army, Mil Hist Institute, New Mexico State University.

I did check our periodicals database EbscoHost but that journal is not listed. I did look up the Journal online and the article is available at this link. Of course it is expensive and I would suggest only as a last resort. You could ask your local library to ILL they journal and copy it yourself for a lot cheaper.

Good luck in your search and I hope you can obtain the information you seek.
        Timothy J. Koehn

Comment

Timothy,

Again thanks. Actually the reference to the article and Magazine issue is new to me. $44 is a little steep but the best "deal" I've found so far. I finally have waded through the bureaucracy at UMCP and am talking to someone about getting access to the Dissertation itself. Basically, I can go to their Library to see it, read it (281 pages), and even take pictures of it. To get a full copy (PDF) will cost at least $75!

My supposition is that the article is the "published paper" summarizing the Dissertation required of every successful PhD. candidate (I had to do one). Kwan-nan Yeh is most likely Cordy's faculty advisor. This ritual was generally required so that your advisor got another publication on their resume. Where I went you had to post a bond (in those days $100) if you hadn't fulfilled this requirement when you received your degree to induce you to do so after you left their "clutches." Back then, $100 was a small fortune to a struggling graduate student.

Anyway, thanks now I have an alternative to getting the basic material.

Dick Milstead
          Company of Military Historians
          Liberty Rifles
          Hardaways Alabama Battery N-SSA
          Richard Milstead

Comment

Dick,

Glad to help. Do let us know how this goes. I am curious on your research project. It sounds very interesting. For the article, ILL is usually the best way. I have gotten hard to find stuff that way. If you have trouble on your end, let me know and I will do an ILL request at my library and get it for you.

Cheers!
            Timothy J. Koehn

Comment

I'll dig through my pile of old research. I just mentioned these articles to Rob Warren the other day. Crazy that two of us were looking for an article from the 80's at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

Mr. Gaede referenced it in his blanket article. He might have it still
              Scott Sheets
              Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
              Dirty Shirts

Comment

Working...
              X