X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haversack & Knapsack Questions

Hello everyone!

Just a few basic questions ...

Haversack: I realize that the primary purpose for the haversack was to carry rations. However, was mess gear stowed in it as well? I have also read an account that a soldier carried fire-building equipment, tinder, and kindling in his haversack. Was this a common practice? Finally, what food items, besides hardtack, were commonly carried by soldiers? How were they, such as salted pork and coffee, packaged/carried?

Knapsack: What off-the-beaten-path/often neglected items should I have in my knapsack?

Poke Sacks: I have met reenactors who literally have a poke for everything they own. In contrast, I have met some who have none. What was the norm for soldiers? What items were always or never put in a poke sack?

Thanks!

Austin Bajak
    -------------------
    Austin:
    Welcome to The Authentic-Campaigner! The folder where you find your thread, "Camp of Instruction", is the appropriate place for a begining reenactor or newbie campaigner to ask "basic questions" and have them answered with patience. However, even in the "Camp of Instruction" we ask our members to do a couple of things before posting questions:
    1) Read. The A-C is more than just a discussion board. There are MANY resources here to help you improve. For example, there are many great articles to read (Here is one directly pertaining to your question: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...olumbia-Rifles ).

2) Use the search function. Odds are that, whatever question you have, someone else has asked it before. Use the search function and see what information you can find.

If your own research, the linked articles, and previous posts you find by searching don't address your question, then please post!

I am closing this thread. Please use the resources to see if you can get answers to your question.

Best Regards,

John Wickett - AC Administrator
    Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 11-15-2011, 03:10 PM.
    Austin Bajak
Working...
X