X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Recruiter Impression

Hello All:

I've been away from reenacting for about four years and am making a come back. The last impression I did was a Confederate army recruiter that I just cobbled together hastily over a weekend with crude and farbish materials I had at the event itself just to try it. It was a lot of fun connecting with spectators and informing them of the class issues around the draft. But as you can see via the photograph it is nowhere near accurate or near its full potential.

I was directed here by another reenactor because he knew some of you had been doing confederate recruiter impressions before and might have some insights and resources to help it reach a more accurate potential. I'd also be interested to know how those of you have done one at public traditional reenactments that aren't hardcore interact with the public. I had been giving a little speech, about the ages twenty slave law ect and mock signing up people up with forms I drew up on a computer. (I am sure there much better reproduction enlistment forms somewhere). What do you do with the public?

full disclosure:

I developed this presentation because I am a physically disabled young man and it was always exhausting to keep up with my battery on march and drill so I wanted to create something stationary around camp I could do, and I didn't see many people addressing the draft. I t My favorite part of reenacting is the teaching aspect.

I know its not a great impression but I am invested now in making it into something accurate. So if you have any tips or scholarly
    Attached Files
    Adam Azzalino

Re: Confederate Recruiter Impression

I currently do a Confederate recruiter impression. First, you need to know all the duties of a Confederate recruiter and how the recruiting system actually worked. You can find much of what you need to know in the Confederate Army manual. As a recruiting officer you are an independent command with the authority to set up a recruit training depot, requisition supplies, uniforms, arms and equipment. You can find all the documents you will need at Sullivan Press; I bought his CD so I can print out my own.Click image for larger version

Name:	raw-3086.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	224741

Comment

I do double duty with this impression. I set up in the civilian camp and answer a lot of tourist's questions, and I also participate in the battles as regular infantry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10604570_539584026186710_5183493943365204825_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	466.8 KB
ID:	224742
      Last edited by ; 08-04-2015, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Bob Sullivan is a real busy guy, if you look at his movie and TV credits you can see why. But he's the only source for most of these documents....unless you want to go to the National Archives and do your own research. He may put off filling your order for months, this has been many people's experience. However, if you call and talk to Bob or e-mail him explaining exactly what you're trying to do with his documents, he will usually try to help you out as quick as he can.

Comment

I was in a battle a few weeks ago when an old veteran of many campaigns gave me a nice compliment. He said that the reenactors in the civilian camp do the most important job because they spend the most time educating the public.

Comment

I am glad to see that you are honing a specific impression based on your interests. As stated, go through as many manuals and first hand accounts as possible. For a specialty impression like this it will take some time and serious research but do not get discouraged. Advice from fellow reenactors is helpful but keep in mind that real research and first hand accounts are ALWAYS your best source of impression information especially for something as specific as this. A general rule of thumb in the authentic community is to avoid spoon fed information that is so prevalent when using social resources. Welcome to the authentic side of things! Enjoy the continual learning and research. It is quite rewarding when everything comes together.

Good luck to you!
            Patrick M. Ferringer

Governor Guards
            SCAR

Comment

Join Scrivener's Mess, they can offer good advise on Civil War documents.

Comment

Working...
              X