Foot Wraps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foot Wraps

I am curious to know if foot wraps were used in the civil war by units compromised mostly central/eastern European immigrants. Or Confederate units due to their frequent lack of supplies. The use of foot wraps was quite prevalent in some European armies of the time, so it makes me wonder. If there is documentation they could be a possible alternative to wool socks for summer and protect wool socks in the winter. I know there are people here with access to alot more primary research than me and people who do extensive research on individual regiments.
    Sean Dahl

Re: Foot Wraps

I posted in the old CWR forum a newspaper article reprint here in Richmond about Federal soldiers in the winter. Some were in need of shoes, and wrapped their feet in old sack coat remnants to prevent their feet from being cut up by the frozen mud during winter marches. Some others would also make sandals out of animal hides, hair side down on the ground.
    Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
    44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

I am familiar with the fusslappen you're talking about. Using them as socks dates at least back to the 1500's in European armies. I know of no specific evidence for them used that way in American armies.
      Jonathan Kuberry

Comment

Working...
      X