Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking info on item listed as corkscrew/pick

Dear Ladies & Gentlemen,

While trying to research information on period can openers I discovered a photo within the book: The Illustrated Directory of Uniforms, Weapons & Equipment of the Civil War (David Miller pg. 478)

The photo shows a pocket knife with a corkscrew attachment, hoof pick and what appears to be a form of can opener (much like that of a cub-scout knife). The caption only reads as "Corkscrew & Pick" then moves on the cover other objects on page.

I currently don't have access to a printer but do hope to inclose photo shortly.

Any further info regarding such an item is greatly welcomed.

Most Respectfully
    Peter J. Miller

Re: Seeking info on item listed as corkscrew/pick

Here is a photo I found of item. The site list item as a Horseman's Knife.

thanks
    Peter J. Miller

Comment

If anyone can help add to the very little I've found regarding this item, it would greatly be welcomed.

Thank you for your time
      Peter J. Miller

Comment

I do not know much about this item as far as to say if it was used then or not, but I do know that knives like these were made in the 1920s. My grandfather and an ex neighbor of mine have/had one of these that they bought new around that time period. We do, however, find a lot of pocket knives of the period in camps and battlefields around where I'm from (East Tennessee) that have the same shield pattern motif on the front of the handle like yours in the picture. Maybe someone else can help you better than I can. You could also look up Smoky Mountain Knife Works on the internet and submit your image of the knife to them. They know their history on knives and have a pretty wide variety of antiques there in their store. You could even venture there on a small "vacation" and drop in to look at their collection located in Sevierville, TN. Sorry, but thats all I can help you out with.

Comment

Does the knife have the slot for the toothpick at the base of the handle?
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

The knife probably dates to the mid to late 19th, possibly as late as the early 20th Century, really need to know about any markings on the blades to get an accurate date on the knife. Of course the corkscrew is obvious and the long, curved device is a hoof pick for cleaning a horse's hooves. I see also a reamer beside the cork screw, and two standard blades but I am missing the can opener?
            Thomas Pare Hern
            Co. A, 4th Virginia
            Stonewall Brigade

Comment

That shield device appears in several old jack knives that my grandfather, who passed away in 1983, owned. I suspect that none of those particular knives were older than possibly the 50s, or the 1940s at the earliest. Perhaps I'm offering the ad quo for our dating.
              Rob Weaver
              Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
              "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
              [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Rob, on American folding knives, the shield-shaped escutcheon is a common device well back into the 19th Century. This knife way predates the 1940s. By the bolster shape and the form of the scales it likely dates to the 3rd quarter of the 19th Century (1850 - 1875) but could be a little later.
                Thomas Pare Hern
                Co. A, 4th Virginia
                Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Working...
                X