Zouave Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zouave Pattern

Forgive me if I've missed something in my search. I'm looking for a good pattern for constructing a Zouave uniform for the 165th NY. Is anyone aware of a vendor who sells a good pattern that either gets it right or is modifiable.

Thanks.
    Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    Mobile, AL

21st Alabama Infantry Reg. Co. D
    Mobile Battle Guards

Re: Zouave Pattern

Last I knew--which is some years ago so the info is probably out of date--Past Patterns made an "okay" semi-generic Zouave uniform. However, I'd suggest that the best approach for a more-accurate repro Zou-suit is to find and measure, sketch, and photograph and original. From that, either make your own pattern or use the information to modify a commercially purchased pattern.

So many Zouave uniforms were very specific to that unit--and there were variations from one contract issue to many Zouave regiments to another--that it's not advisable to simply accept a purchased pattern as accurate for a given regiment's uniform.

Comment

Thanks, Kevin. That's precisely what I am planning on doing. I'm just having a time finding a 'base' pattern to work with. I'll check out the vendor you mentioned.
      Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
      Mobile, AL

Mobile Battle Guards

Comment

Mr. Underwood,

While I'm not seeing a Zouave in Mrs. Altman's line http://www.pastpatterns.com/ , do take the time to contact her, as not all her patterns are 'in print'. I've worked with more than one that was drawn out on butcher paper, still in the pilot stage.

On a related tangent, look also to Steve Wainwright---every one of those Zouaves you see in the Mobile area (at least the ones that are any good) came from his hand---drafted from a good image and sheer audacity when those grown sons of his were in elementary school. Becky Nall had a hand in there somewhere too I think, and those pattern drafts also exist on butcher paper, unless Hurrican Ivan washed them away.

Loves me some Zou-zous, :D
        Terre Hood Biederman
        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Actually, Steve is a very good friend of mine. He can't find the pattern he made. I have his uniform in my truck on the way home to make a pattern. I've never done it, but, shoot, I'll try anything once. We are working hard on getting our Zouave units back up in number. :)
          Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
          Mobile, AL

Mobile Battle Guards

Comment

Originally posted by Spinster View Post

Loves me some Zou-zous, :D
            Mrs. Lawson,

How are you about the Bersaglieri?

Robert Carter
            69th NYSV, Co. A
            justrobnj@gmail.com
            www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Judge Carter,

I made a comment on THAT hat some time back on some obscure OTB thread. As I recall, you were a bit puzzled and the connection was rather tenuous.

That comment was not fit for ladies, children, or a board of this high calibur and known moral standards. Thus it shall not be repeated.

Just because I love me some Zou-zous, does not mean I am taken with most men in fru-fru...:D There's some history with these particular Zou-zous that warrants a campfire story.

The snake jug will bite you,
              Terre Hood Biederman
              Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic

Comment

Yep, sure will.
                Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
                Mobile, AL

Mobile Battle Guards

Comment

And Lawrence, that's not the first story. Its simply the last one.
                  Terre Hood Biederman

sigpic

Comment

Oh, I'm sure. With those fellows the stories never stop being generated. There's a couple from Tallassee last year. . .
                    Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
                    Mobile, AL

Mobile Battle Guards

Comment

Working...
                    X