Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eufaula Alabama Light Artillery

Hello all,

I am looking for information on my ancestor's unit, the Eufaula (Alabama) Light Artillery. My great-great-great-grand father, Stephen Lunsford enlisted in the unit with his brothers Franklin, Green, Henry, John, and Joseph. As for some internet research, I have found rosters of the unit and short unit histories, but what is lacking, for me, is information on a personal level. I have never seen a photo, uniform, or any artifact of the battery. I have seen their monument at Chickamauga, and have found general histories of the unit on the internet, that list their commanders, campaigns, and casualties. Two books I own give slight mention to the battery; Mike Bunn's "Civil War Eufaula" and Larry Daniel's "Cannoneers In Gray," but still lack a lot of info. I was very disappointed in “Civil War Eufaula” because it only mentioned the battery in one paragraph. In research long ago, we found that Confederate General William Bate, in his battle report for Chickamauga, said the Eufaula battery had the "honor of opening on Friday evening…the battle of Chickamauga…and honor of …closing on Sunday evening, the battle of Chickamauga." We have not found exact proof of that statement and I've looked at some of Bate's reports and did not find mention of the battery. In Glenn Tucker's book, "Chickamauga-Bloody Battle of the West" on page 369 he states, "The Confederate General Bate credited the Eufaula Battery, of Stewart's division, with firing both the first and last shots."
    "Cannoneers In Gray" has the most information I've found and the only source where one soldier is mentioned. On page 71, Larry Daniel writes that Private John A. Scriner was found "absent without leave" and he had to wear a ball and chain for 20 days and forfeit 4 months of pay. Page 106: On September 20, 1863 at Chickamauga, the battery was positioned east of the Kelly Field and one shot from their cannon made a direct hit on a caisson wheel of Battery B, 1st Ohio Light Artillery, hurling the caisson into the air and crashing to the ground. Page 110-111:The battery was engaged for 30 minutes in the battle and fired 76 rounds while losing 14 men and 15 horses. After the battle, they traded one of their 3-inch guns for a captured Federal 10-pounder Parrott rifle.
    Here is a short synopsis of the history of the Eufaula Light Artillery from what I have gathered from records and articles:
    The battery was organized at Eufaula, AL in Barbour County on February 26, 1862, under the command of Captain John W. Clark. On March 30, the battery arrived in Knoxville, Tn. and placed in Kirby Smith’s Department of East Tennessee, where Captain W.A. McTyer was put in command of the unit. In the fall of 1862, they were assigned to McCown’s Division of Hardee’s Corps, of the Army of Tennessee. The first major battle they were involved in was Stones River, but the majority of the battery was kept to the rear due to the fact they lacked sufficient ammunition. A section of the battery, under Lieutenant W.J. McKenzie was attached to General Abraham Buford’s brigade and another section under Lieutenant W.A. McDuffie was attached to James Rains’ Brigade. On December 30, McDuffie’s section was engaged in battle in supporting Rains’ brigade, even driving the 8th Wisconsin Artillery away from the field. However, the battery’s success didn’t last long, as they spent all their ammunition and General Rains was killed. Of their actions that day, Major George M. Mathes, chief of artillery of McCown’s Division, gave credit to the battery for the “cool and skillful manner in which the battery was handled under the severe fire of two or more batteries.”
    In Spring 1863, the battery was attached to Brigadier General William Bate’s brigade, of A.P. Stewart’s division, Polk’s Corps. They took part in the battle of Hoover’s Gap, June 24, 1863 and were noted for their actions there. In September, they were added to Simon Buckner’s Corps, with Lieutenant McDonald Oliver now in command of the battery. The battery became part of Major J.W. Eldridge’s artillery battalion. At Chickamauga, on September 18, they were ordered to take and hold Thedford’s Ford on Chickamauga Creek. The 4th Georgia Sharpshooters supported the battery as they supported the attack of Bate’s Brigade, but heavy Federal artillery fire forced them away from their position. They were re-engaged at various times on September 19 & 20 and having lost one gun in the battle, replaced it with a captured Federal 10-pounder Parrott rifle.
    After Chickamauga they were transferred to Breckinridge’s corps in November 1863 and then Hindman’s corps in January 1864. They were lightly engaged at Missionary Ridge in November, losing one gun to the enemy during the retreat. In February 1864, they joined Hood’s corps and took part in the Atlanta Campaign where McDonald Oliver was killed in July. In late 1864, Captain W.J. McKenzie took command of the battery and it was assigned to Stephen Lee’s corps. At the battle of Nashville, on December 16, 1864, the battery was positioned in support of Brigadier General Henry Clayton’s division. When the Confederate lines broke at the battle, the Eufaula battery and a handful of other regiments, were the only units equipped for battle. Stephen Lee demanded a rear guard be organized and the Eufaula battery and 39th Georgia were quickly put to the task and held the Federals back till a large majority of the Confederates could withdraw. When it was time for the battery to withdraw, they had to move quickly and when they reached the Duck River, the pontoon bridge had already been destroyed and leaving their cannons behind, the men swam across the river to escape.
    In March 1865, what was left of the battery was transferred to defenses of Mobile, of the District of the Gulf. The battery surrendered at Meridan, Ms. on May 4, 1865, under the command of William H. Woods. They had lost a total of 84 men in the war; 48 KIA & 36 dead from disease. Like all the artillery units of the Army of Tennessee, they took part in almost every major battle and were transferred to almost every corps. I have always treasured the accounts that they “began and closed” the Battle of Chickamauga and that they “held the line” at Nashville, but I have not found sufficient proof of those actions.
    If anyone has any information on the Eufaula Light Artillery, its men, officers, uniforms, equipment, etc., please let me know! I have never seen a photo of a member of the unit. I would love to know more of their participation in the Atlanta & Franklin/Nashville campaigns. All the facts and accounts I have read, lack a view from the men, their own words and actions. Any letters or diaries from the unit would be tremendous help. In researching long ago, I remember coming across a picture posted on a forum of a forage cap with the letters “ELA” on it and they were discussing if it was the Eufaula Light Artillery, but their was no sufficient proof.
    Any help, comments, suggestions and ideas on where to look or find out more about them would be greatly appreciated. Any documented proof as well.
    Thanks in advance!
    Stephen Lunsford

Possum Skinners Mess/Tick Creek Troublemakers

150th Pickett's Mill May 2014-5th Kentucky
    150th Franklin (Carnton Plantation) November 2014-20th Tennessee
    150th Bentonville, March 2015-10th Iowa
    Pea Ridge Adjunct, September 2015-24th Missouri
    Blakeley Living History, April 2016-1st/3rd Missouri CS
    Picket Post, May 2016, Company C, 9th Tennessee "Creek Bank Mess"
    Lookout Mountain Living History, June 2017, 31st Iowa "Root Hog or Die"
    154th Chickamauga Living History, September 2017, Co. C, 23rd Tennessee
    Battle of Wauhatchie (Aka "Wet-hatchie"), Tennessee, October 27-28, 2017, 78th New York "12th Corps!!!"
Working...
X